Engraving a chrome plated axe head

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #1
I've been asked to engrave lettering on a chrome plated axe head that will be used for an award in the forestry service. I have not engraved on chrome plate, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or if I should pass on it?

Thanks!

Joe

Attachments

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The axe will likely be very tough or hard metal and the plating will chip if you can cut through it. To properly engrave a chrome plated item requires the plating (usually three layers of copper, nickel and chrome) to be removed and then perhaps re-plated after engraving which means you will lose any fine detail, The metal will be very difficult to cut.

I would pass on such a request!

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #6
Actually, they want the main award design on the axe head and smaller plaques on the handle for each annual recipient...also chrome. i think I will pass on this one and suggest they sandblast a design into the head for contrast. thanks for all the input!

Joe

monk

Staff member
if you cut this, it will likely cause you a lot of greif. the advice above would be the way to go imho

Archie Woodworth

:::Pledge Member:::
instead of blasting, look into acid etching.
Another option ....
You might search around your area for someone with a laser (jewelers, trophy shop ect.). I had a similar request and ended up convincing the customer to go with the laser option. I know its not hand engraved but ... engraving through chrome plating is gonna be a nightmare.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
You could go the route of marking the handle. Be it engraved, burnt in, routed and-filled. Wire inlay could work but i myself have never tried it, but have seen some great examples on this site.
Eric

Latest posts

Sponsors