Engraving at sea

norsksea

Hi all
I am a Merchant Marine, I work at sea for 2 weeks then home for 2 weeks. I bought a Gravermax a few years ago and went to Basic engraving school at GRS. I couldn’t find the time to practice at home and bringing the Gravermax out to sea was out.
I had seen the Lindsay Palm Control at the Blade show in Atlanta last year and I finally bought one to use at sea.
Here is a picture of my setup at sea on the paperwork table in the galley. I have the Lindsay Palm Control with CO2 setup under my magnifying light with a GRS mini-ball on a tripod I made from a video camera tripod. Now I can practice, practice and practice.
Frank

Attachments

• Sea setup sm.JPG
    Sea setup sm.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 230

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Frank. I must say, that looks like a very compact setup you have there, and the first tripod-mounted engraving vise I've ever seen! That's a great way to relax and enjoy your offtime. Post some photos of your progress.

norsksea

Thanks
I have alot of free time between ports. It takes 2 1/2 days between Philli PA and Albany NY. In that time I need a hobby to make the time go by.
Frank

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool setup you have there Frank. How was the transition from foot control to palm control?

Peter

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting. A question though. How does the roll of the boat effect you though? I would think there would be an extreme chance of a the ball vise coming off and landing on your foot?

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was my thought too, Scott. Wouldn't mounting the vise in some sort of gimble (as the old fashioned compasses were) be a better option? I can't imagine what it must be like trying to engrave whilst the ship is rolling. A very interesting thread Frank, tell us some more.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well now that all would depend on how big the boat and how rough the seas.:) If a boat it big enough a hurricane won't sway it. If Frank works on a rather large freighter he probably doesn't feel much rock unless the weather is really really bad.

Ray

norsksea

I work on a barge that is 375 feet long and 75 feet wide and 22 feet high. It is very stable and does not roll much at all. Any movement from bad seas the first sign is my magnifying light starts to more and I can't see anymore so I surf the net.
The GRS mini ball is around 3 inches and I think is 5 lbs. The tripod is very stable but when cutting I support the ball with my left hand as you would anyway to turn the engraving. I had to add a piece of rubber matting between the ring and the ball because it is to light and will roll away form the engraver. I adapted an aluminum plate on my lathe that fits into the ¾ collet on the tripod. The top is turn to fit the 2-inch hole in the middle of the mini ball ring. The step is ¼ high and the center dished out for the ball to clear the base. The ball will not just fall off but I do not want this thing to land on my foot either so I am cautious when stepping around it to sit down. I have very limited space to store my equipment but would change or improve the setup if I find a better way. Here is a picture or the ball with matting, the ball ring and base to see what I did.
Frank

Attachments

• Ball ring adaptor sm.JPG
    Ball ring adaptor sm.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 113

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Frank: Your magnifier intriges me, could you tell me a little more about it?
I don't see a microscope in the near future. Am blind in one eye and am having problems adapting to the optivisor. Was considering the magnifier light as an option.

norsksea

Very cool setup you have there Frank. How was the transition from foot control to palm control?
Peter
Hi Peter
It is easy to pick up the Palm Control and start ingraving. There is real meaning in the name palm control.
Frank

Frank: Your magnifier intriges me, could you tell me a little more about it?
I don't see a microscope in the near future. Am blind in one eye and am having problems adapting to the optivisor. Was considering the magnifier light as an option.
Hi Jim
The magnifying light that I have onboard is a cheap one but has a strong lens in it. It uses a screw-in light bulb and I have a spiral screw-in florescent in it. At home in my shop I have a better one that has a small florescent tubes in it. Not to say I use the magnifying light at home to engrave. I have a Microscope I bought from The Microscope store on a boom stand with my Magnablock on a cut down drill press stand.
Frank

Attachments

• Shop engraving sm.JPG
    Shop engraving sm.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 91

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Frank,
What is the base right under the vise in the picture?
It looks interesting. Just curious....
Keith

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got a magnifyer with a floresent ring light at staples and it works very well-it is 2.5 power-I beleive that Frank Wells uses a BauchLamb light if I remember reading an article right. I used to engrave with the magnifyer but got a scope awhile back but still use the magnifier on occasion.

norsksea

Hi Frank,
What is the base right under the vise in the picture?
It looks interesting. Just curious....
Keith
Hi Keith
It's a ship wheel base that I made after I saw pictures of the beautiful John Madole "Pilot Wheel" Engraving Vise.
Frank

Attachments

• Base vise cl-up sm.JPG
    Base vise cl-up sm.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Madole vise 02.jpg
    Madole vise 02.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 74

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Keith
It's a ship wheel base that I made after I saw pictures of the beautiful John Madole "Pilot Wheel" Engraving Vise.
Frank

That is fine work Frank. I bet you could sell the heck outta those bases should you make a batch... Beautiful.

Latest posts

Sponsors