Engraving Class / Teacher Recommendations

Thread starter #1
Hello,

I am interested in learning engraving and feel the best way to do so is to take a class (followed by many more classes. Haha). I am primarily wanting to focus on firearm engraving. If anyone could give some recommendations for a teacher that would be great. Preferably one who will teach an absolute beginner and with Airgravers. I am in the United States and willing to travel in the US for instruction.

Thanks,
brennon272

Dean

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Brennon, there are several fantastic teachers out there, teaching all aspects of engraving. And of course this forum and the Lindsay forum will provide a wealth of information with so many great people willing to help one another.

When I started out a couple of years ago I took my beginners class with Ray Cover in MO. And then a second class, (intermediate) with him this past year. Both classes were great and extremely helpful and well worth it. Ray is an fantastic engraver and teacher, but more than that Ray is a super person. I will also be taking other classes with Ray.

Good luck to you, Dean

KGDiebold

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've taken two classes with Ray Cover as well, and can't wait to take another class with him. He is moving to the Branson area and hasn't posted a 2020 schedule yet. I live near Kansas City, so he is pretty close to me. I went to Texas engraving school in Brookshire, TX and was very pleased with Wes Griffin. He frequently has guest instructors there as well. I'm heading back down there in May. He also offers a lot of online classes. It's nothing compared to being there with an engraver in person, but with no travel expenses, you get a lot for the money. GRS in Emporia, KS has many talented instructors. I believe they've expanded their school this year. I just haven't caught the right class at the right time to make it out there....yet. If you post your general location, you may get some suggestions close to you. That way you can spend your money on tools instead of bus fare!

JJ Roberts

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving classes with J.J.Roberts are done on a one to one basis. It consists of power assist, hammer & chisel, hand push Bulino, tool sharpening, drawing of scrolls, animal & bird anatomy. Classes any day, weekends or during the week. It is made convenient for the student. Cost=two days $450.00, three days $550.00, one week $850.00. Convenient to many hotel and eateries in the Manassas, VA area. Please call to schedule and for more information...703-330-0448. email jjrengraver@aol.com...website...www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver. J.J.