Engraving finishes

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
For engraving that sees lots of outdoor exposure I have used several products with limited success. Everything from waxes to build up finishes of lacquer and other clear coat finishes. I have recently tried and think to date this is the best of the lot for appearance, protection and durability. Cerakote makes both a gloss clear coat #MC-156 and a matte clear coat #MC-157. The pictured Browning Superposed has had applied background blackening of Rust-oleum matte enamel and a top spray coat of 50%Cerakote Gloss and 50%Cerakote Matte. The build up is around 1/2 thousandths when dry. I use a ratio 75:25 clear:matte on color case hardening. I think I would like a little more gloss than what is pictured here and will try a 60:40 ratio the next time for coin/greyed finish engraving.

IMG-0751.jpg

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
looks sweet..........................another please...............

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Neat idea. I looked on Cerakote's website for applicators near me and, lo and behold, I found one in Raleigh NC that only does firearms: https://dirtybirdusa.com/. There is a neat chart on the site showing the relative times of various finishes in a standard salt bath, with Cerakote coming out multiples of times longer than traditional finishes. They even have a price sheet on the site.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the information about Cerakote. I didn’t know it, I‘ll try to have my motorbike‘s exhaust manifold coated.

Cheers

Ralf
I am unsure of its high heat resistance. I would experiment on non-important application to find the answer or contact the company. I found them to be very helpful and very willing to discuss applications questions. You live in some beautiful country.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Roger, thanks for the praise for France. I came there 24 years ago for a job, and stayed. Meanwhile I work again in Germany, still live in France, and try to combine the best of both countries. The Alsace is a very beautiful region, so are many other regoins of France. I like the South a bit more than the North…

Cheers

Ralf