Engraving Poll - What articles do you engrave?

My engraving work is done on (select all the apply):

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I agree with Marcus Hunt in that it will be interesting to know what kind of engravers frequent the Cafe. Take the poll and let's find out! / ~Sam

LRB

My engraving is pretty much confined to 18th C. American longrifles. Barrels, locks, inlays, ect., and in the styles of that period. My work is better than a beginner, but not "pro" enough for anything beyond what I work on. Early American gunsmiths were seldom really good at engraving, although there are some exceptions, so I can get away with less than great work, but I do want to be better than I am.

Sam

Staff member
Some of you may be missing the checkboxes above which record the poll results. It's certainly not necessary or expected that you participate, but if you'd like to, check off the boxes above. / ~Sam

At this point in my engraving career I will only engrave my own knives that I make. My most valuable lesson so far has been the tutotial on sharpening the 120 degree graver and the flat graver. Thanks again Sam. Jack Davenport

Norm

I currently only engrave practice plates and jewellry items that I make.

I have thought of doing customized Golf Drivers, but I'm not too sure how easy some the the materials would be to engrave. Has anyone seen this?

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
I suppose they could fall into the knife catagory but I've done quite a few cigar cutters along with the other usual items. David

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am still honing my skills but once I have the confidence, I plan to engrave mostly knives. I've been riding motorcycles for 37 years and hope to do some various motorcycle parts also.

Additionally, I have a lot of ideas to engrave various things I possess. Silver items like pill boxes and cigarette cases. I have done a bit of checkering on ferules of old tools and plan to do some floral patterns on brass and steel knobs.

That being said, at this point in time I have predominantly been engraving practice plates.

Peter

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I have engraved on most of the media listed on the poll, but, due to influence from a friend who is an artist, she convinced me to try making my engraving into wall art, so we are on a print making endeavour, we printed off a practice plate and it transfered very well, so now I am in the middle off doing a real plate, the image is finished, currently doing the scroll work border. I am kind of winging it though, so if anyone has suggestions feel free to chime in. I will post the finished piece when it is completed.

Kerry Bogan

Doorknobs
They make great practice pieces and people actualy like them.
I think every engraver should think about engraving their doorknobs, its the first thing people touch when they come into your house. I feel engraving is as much about touching as it is visual. Have ever noticed when you show people your engraving they cant help but touch it?

Sam

Staff member
How about an "other" category for car parts, pipe wrenches and fire bells....:)

Tira: This poll is already at the maximum number of 10 poll options. We can certainly do another poll if you like :) / ~Sam

Sponsors