engraving shears?

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone have experience in engraving shears I was recently asked if I could do some for a friend but I've never worked with them before does anyone have experience with these types of things?

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_112811.jpg
    IMG_20200706_112811.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 66

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I have engraved a couple of the Wiss shears with inlaid steel edges.
They engraved nicely, but I stayed away from the hardened inlays.
I don't know how those stainless ones would cut, they are probably thru hard.
Carbide might work, but...

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
From my own personal experience after having sharpened such shears with a friend of mine, we discovered that some are approaching glass-hard; some not quite so; some sub zero quenched in addition to being hardened and tempered; and some will break if dropped. Also, some have a slight twist to them, and can be stressed if held incorrectly.Plus, some are terribly expensive and you better know what you're doing if you sharpen them. If you have to replace a $300 pair of shears, it becomes a lesson learned. Personally, I would not take in any at all!

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
From my own personal experience after having sharpened such shears with a friend of mine, we discovered that some are approaching glass-hard; some not quite so; some sub zero quenched in addition to being hardened and tempered; and some will break if dropped. Also, some have a slight twist to them, and can be stressed if held incorrectly.Plus, some are terribly expensive and you better know what you're doing if you sharpen them. If you have to replace a $300 pair of shears, it becomes a lesson learned. Personally, I would not take in any at all!
These Ara a 90 dollar set of 2 that come in the kit given at the cosmetology school I think I'm just going to have to take a file and a graver and find an inconspicuous spot to test I did already say I might not be able to do them and will have to test them in person so she is aware

mfennessy

The inside will have a hollow ground along the blade. I sharpen and sell salon shears so I tried to engrave a couple of pairs. One of them was easy up by the handle and as you got closer to the middle of the blade became much much harder. I used carbide tips but it was very slow going and I don't think I could have done anything very elaborate. So I would test near the tip on the inside where it's hollow ground. The hollow ground part has no effect on it's cutting ability and won't be noticeable when the shears are closed. If you want it to be completely hidden, you'd have to test on the inside near the screw hole, but that might not tell you how hard the blade part is.

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
The inside will have a hollow ground along the blade. I sharpen and sell salon shears so I tried to engrave a couple of pairs. One of them was easy up by the handle and as you got closer to the middle of the blade became much much harder. I used carbide tips but it was very slow going and I don't think I could have done anything very elaborate. So I would test near the tip on the inside where it's hollow ground. The hollow ground part has no effect on it's cutting ability and won't be noticeable when the shears are closed. If you want it to be completely hidden, you'd have to test on the inside near the screw hole, but that might not tell you how hard the blade part is.
I appreciate the info il have to see exactly what she wants and go from there

Latest posts

Sponsors