Engraving slipjoint shields

SarahLadd

Hey everyone,

I'm just looking for some simple advice on engraving shields on slipjoint folders. I have some knifemakers who've asked me if I can detail these features but I have reservations about trying as I feel these things are maybe just glued in and might vibrate out of the pocket they're in, or damage the scales if they are a more fragile material like shell. Should I be concerned about these shields popping out or shifting and damaging abalone/mother of pearl/anything, really?

Thanks!

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I have never had a problem with engraving the sheilds nor have I heard of any problems from other knife engravers. However if for some reason it did pop loose, just superglue the shield to a plate of steel, finish the engraving and the maker can just epoxy it back in when you send it back.

SarahLadd

Thank you both for your input I appreciate it. My biggest concern was less about it coming out and more about how it could potentially chip, crack, or otherwise damage fragile scale materials. I have seen a few examples which gives me a little more courage.

SarahLadd

What handle material is of concern?
I can't see harder materials like stag antler or other kinds of ivories being a problem. I'm unfamiliar with composites like Westinghouse micarta, and abalone/shell materials are known to be fragile and whether pressure on it from engraving into the shield would cause any chips cracks or flaking.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
another item to avoid without first warning the client-- any item that's plated. even the best plating job can flake away from the cut line.

Latest posts

Sponsors