Engraving styles

blindwillie

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and engraving. I wanted to start a conversation and get some opinions about the different types of engraving done.
I recently stumbled upon the work done by low rider guys on their cars.
I was surprised to see them engraving the big parts by hand...dashboard, control arms...everything...
This is completely opposite from the finely detailed work I see on the forum with firearms and jewelry - but I am genuinely curious to know:
what are your opinions on the car engraving scene?
Is there another style of engraving I might be surprised to see out there?
I always thought that elevator doors would be a great canvass..... :)

Last edited:

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've been kicking around the forums for awhile now, still don't know much.

That said the folks doing the rotary tool "engraving" are not anywhere near as accomplished as the folks here doing single point fine hand engraving. they are very different disciplines and require vastly different skill sets and tooling to accomplish the end results.

I'm not knocking the rotary folks but I can equate them to a real life trade situation. For a plumber to become a fitter/welder one just needs to pass a test, for a fitter/welder to become a plumber one needs to serve an apprenticeship and then pass a test, that again shows the vast difference in skill sets required to do the work as described.

My opinions are my own, others will have a different take on this I'm sure.

monk

Staff member
there's much, much more that can be embellished than is shown here on the forum look for a makket, then fill that need. no market ?? simple as pie, just start yer own. probably the strangest request i ever had was from a radio show in desmoines, iowa. i engraved the station logo and a talk show host's name on a toilet seat ! crazy? yes. but i was well paid by a rather happy customer. many would "look down" on such. but if i satisfy a need-- nothing wrong with that. it was enjoyable to me.

blindwillie

Great story monk...that's hilarious... lol
Here's the video from the lowrider scene that made me want to get your opinion:
Made me realize that this craft has many forms than what I thought originally

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
this is absolutely BAD TO BONE thanks for sharing you art and passion. BEAUTIFUL

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That gold plated frame was out of this world! I had a customer call late week wanting me to engrave some valve cover and a few other parts but immediately hung when I told him I was six months behind in projects.

Latest posts

Sponsors