Question: Facetting machine for graver polishing?

Fetzi_DLL

Has anyone ever tried this?
I got my first engraver last week and am on a smaller budget, GRS powers pricetag is far away and DIY solutions are hard to accomplish in my small flat with no workshop. Also GRS is nearly double the price where i live.

It looks very similar to what you would do with a graver, just asking if someone ever tried this.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used a faceting machine for years. Worked great, high torque (on the one i used anyways) had an oil drip.. had a cutaway in the pan to access all the angles i needed.... I didn’t bother to hook it up to the mast tho, just eyeballed my cuts

Fetzi_DLL

@ryan thanks, that would be really nice. Even tho i need to buy them from germany. Maybe i'll find a used drill press.

Also since the shipment cost + lindsay template are close to the 300€ i need to pay for the apex system, so may a combination from Apex and drill press are the best.

I do not have any tools to machine, otherwise i would build my own power hone.

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
@ryan thanks, that would be really nice. Even tho i need to buy them from germany. Maybe i'll find a used drill press.

Also since the shipment cost + lindsay template are close to the 300€ i need to pay for the apex system, so may a combination from Apex and drill press are the best.

I do not have any tools to machine, otherwise i would build my own power hone.
Hi there) Regarding Lindsay's templates - you only need to buy Universal point template, it is more than enough for a start! And you even dont have to order the polishing stones - buy any polishing stones, discs, and adjust the hight.
Trust me, one graver geometry and hand polishing is enough to keep you practicing for quite a while))
Of course grs sharpening fixture is a must for a professional setup in my opinion, best tool ever!)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The nice thing about using a drill press is that YOU ALSO HAVE A DRILL PRESS. Which are useful for many other operations, both engraving-related and otherwise. For example, filing down/dressing brass inlay punches when they get mushroomed.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I use Carl Bleile's lap mandrel adapter's on my drill press for ruffing out my graver's and finial polishing on my power hone. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors