FEGA 2007 Photos

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here are a few shots courtesy of John Barraclough and Andrew Biggs. John says more will be coming soon.

If for some reason you want me to remove a photo of you from the gallery, email me and I'll take care of it.

FEGA 2007 Gallery

Thanks John & Andrew!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice banjo!

Sam, Sam, hey Sam! Stop that slobbering, it's just a banjo, Sam did ya hear? Helloooo? :confused:

"Banjo lust". Folks don't let this happen to someone you love, won't you help? :cool:

Sam

Staff member
It's a magnificent banjo alright. Thank god it's a Bacon & Day and not a Gibson or I'd be robbing banks to buy it.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The lady who built the banjo has been coming to the FEGA show for many years gleaning all the information she could about engraving. When you see more of the banjo you will note it is covered with exotic wood and mother-of-pearl inlays dipicting bear scenes, mountain lion on an elk kill and numerous other scenes...lots of engraving also along with other refinements. She brought the banjo to the show to share what she has done with all that helped her along the way. Spectacular is all I can think to say. S

Sam

Staff member
More photos just added to the gallery, and here's a letter from Andrew Biggs. I should add that I've posted every photo John and Andrew sent me.
-----------
Hi Sam

Here's some more photos for you. Post what you like and feel free to alter them to suit your needs.

The FEGA show was beyond WOW!!!!!! The quality and level of engraving was unbelievable. What impressed me more than that, was the people. It was a real pleasure to meet the FEGA members and the various forum people. Their friendship and generosity of spirit was what made the show most memorable for me. I'm taking home with me some very happy and fond memories of some of the most big hearted people I've ever met in my life. It was like visiting with old friends and they made me feel like family. A truly amazing and fabulous experience.

The very first thing I did notice however was that everyone spoke a bit funny with strange accents. Perhaps I managed to educate them a bit on how to speak English properly :)

Rex said that he may put sub titles on my seminar so that Americans can understand me!!!

Reno itself was an interesting experience all in itself. I've never seen anything so big in all my life. I swear that you could fit the entire population of New Zealand into one hotel!!!!!

The Safari Club international show was just out of this world. Where else can you go and pick up an array of $160k to $250k guns engraved by Fracassi and be surrounded by such immense wealth. Unbelievable really. Anyone going to FEGA I would recommend that they take in the SCI show at least for a day. Very expensive to get into but worth every cent.

Will I be back...........You bet I will as wild horses couldn't keep me away!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes
Andrew Biggs

PS.....If you want to add this e-mail to the forum, please feel free to do so as I won't be back home for another week or so.
------------

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Stuff. I would have to say Andrew enjoyed his stay. Any photos of engravings.
Who was it that did the Banjo?
Mike

Lynn E.

Google Banjo and Renee and you will get her website, more photos & history. Her newest creation isn't on there yet, but SamW has the goods!

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Fega

Pictures are great, but didn't anyone take any pictures of the winning entries? I'd like to see what these fine engravers submitted for judging.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam W.,
It's great to have you display photos and communications on this forum. Your take on many of these issues presented on the forum will be appreciated.
Gene Long said to say Hello.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,
Now you know why we schedule all events early, all us old people need to get to bed early!!!
:)
Seriously, we had a couple of younger members displaying this year. Mark Smith and Brian Hochstrat were there but I would sure like to see more. I made a plea in the last FEGA newsletter for that and hope we can see more next year. I did see some response to my plea in regards to some help and I think more will answer the call as well.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Marcus.
We were proud to elect David Clevenger, an under thirty, to our Board of Directors during the General meeting.
He and his lovely wife Darcy can be seen in one of the pictures that is posted.
President Rex has made a strong effort to pass some of the reins over to the younger generation and deserves a lot of credit for it.
FEGA is moving forward in that direction and would make you welcome, as it has Andrew Biggs.
Part of the problem in any organization is finding younger people who have the time to devote to helping with the running of it.

Hello Crazy Horse.
Sam Welch took some great pictures of Robert Swartley's wonderful Model 73 Winchester and may have posted them somewhere.
Pictures of all the winners will be shown in the next issue of the FEGA Engraver magazine.
Hint hint...... a great reason to join FEGA for $35 per year. Plus you get in the show each day free instead of paying three days at $20 each.
Pictures are great, but you can't beat being there seeing them in real life and enjoying all the great friendship. Hope you and Marcus can make it next year.
They may also be shown later on the FEGA forum for free, but I'm not sure.
Very best regards to you and all, John.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,
Thank you for adding David's name to that list. I'm suffering from brain freeze today. The wind chill is -10 degrees here today! Trying to warm my engraving vise up so my hand doesn't stick to it...
The names I mentioned were exhibitors but we had many new and young faces at the show. As also welcome David as well as Kevin Monahan that will be doing a few projects for FEGA as well, not to mention all the rest that attended the meeting, show and seminars. It was one great time!

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
To respond to Marcus and Rex, I believe a big reason there are not many new exibitors at the show is simply that its intimidating. I am confident in my ability and my work, but when I was setting up my table and was looking around at who was there and what they where displaying, I started to wonder if I had gotten in over my head, by that time though it was to late to chicken out. However, that feeling faded quickly, and I received very positive feedback on my work and met tons of people. So I would recommend to anyone who has been debating about exhibiting, not to be apprehensive, the people at the show will appreciate your work much more than they will at a local show, most that attend know what they are looking at, and you don't have to answer irritating questions like: Wow, thats expensive, how many can you do in a day? Is'nt engraving supposed to sparkle? ect. My experience was very positive and looking forward to next year. So if you have been thinking about it, do it, the table fees are reasonable and nobody will laugh at your work, and too, you will never know where you stand, if you don't toss your hat in the ring.:)

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Well said! I hope all those that were thinking about coming read this. You are now the official spokesperson for prospective exhibitors!
:)
Seriously, you'll never know unless you try.
And for those of you that have seen some of Brian's work posted here, the pictures don't do it justice. VERY nice work Brian!

msar24

I attended the show for the first time and did not have a table since I did not have anything to display. But my plan is to have a table next year and have something worthwhile to display. I did not feel intimidated since I know that most of the people with tables had many years of experience and I can only hope to be able to produce that quality of work in as many years. I'd be glad to have the experience engravers just view my work on the table and offer words of encouragment and constructive criticism. That would make the fees for the table worth it. Of course getting someone to pay me for engraving would be welcome.:)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Kevin and Brian.
It was great meeting you in Reno.
Brian, your display and work was super and enjoyed by many.
Kevin, all the work you did and the expertese with equipment that you bring to the Guild is greatly valued.
Your work at the Guild table was greatly appreciated.
It's new blood like you gentlemen ( or ladies), David Clevinger and Andrew Biggs that will keep FEGA moving forward.
Thank you all for your efforts and best of luck with your engraving adventure.
John B.

Latest posts

Sponsors