files to use ?

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm working on an old Llama .380 to prep it for some simple engraving. It looks like my sanding and stoning isn't gonna be enough . Is there a particular size/type/grit of file I should use ? I think I saw just recently on a post saying I should use a new one so, should I be able to find a proper one at a local store ?
While I'm at it, I'm planning on bluing it when done using a stovetop method shown on YouTube using stump remover salts. It won't cover silver or copper inlay will it ?
Thanks in advance, Mark

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I use the Gesswein 600 1/4x for rough areas and it works well. To follow with 400,600 etc. These stones are best bought in the box rather than individually I think due to pricing

T.G.III

It looks like my sanding and stoning isn't gonna be enough . Is there a particular size/type/grit of file I should use ? I think I saw just recently on a post saying I should use a new one so, should I be able to find a proper one at a local store ?
Thanks in advance, Mark

Single cut mill bastard file, length will up to whats comfortable for you. as far as new files, hardware store is typically the last place to look, good files, like everything else, are expensive.

papart1

I apologize........I neglected to add when using the 1/4" square stones...........I use alcohol as the cutting lube/wash. It does a good job. Followed with 400-then 600 paper.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to all for the information. I did go to the local hardware and picked up a couple of new, fine cut files to get started. I'll be shopping for some of better quality as suggested. I watched a couple videos on draw filing. I've used files all my adult life but never sideways ! One thing I did learn was to apply little or no pressure which , does cut finer and is more controllable.
Pap, when using my stones I stand at the kitchen sink with a trickle of water flowing on my project but I'll try the alcohol trick, Thanks, Mark

T.G.III

Pap, when using my stones I stand at the kitchen sink with a trickle of water flowing on my project but I'll try the alcohol trick, Thanks, Mark

Cutting oil works good with stones and wet or dry paper

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Love the smell of sulfurated cutting oil in the morning:eek:
also get some chalk and rub on the file dry it will help keep from pinning, brownells sells file chalk

SDH

I probably have a hundred different files in my shop and my students get to use the ones I've found best for each individual procedure.
That is not an exaggeration and one of the benefits of professional instruction. I have everything from a 4", #6 cut needle file to 12" a #3 stitched wood rasp you have to use with a leather glove on your off hand. Techniques are quite different for each and more that I can explain in text.
But I can show you in a few minutes~~~ as i can show the difference between stone polishing and my preferred grit (cloth) paper polishing.

Latest posts

Sponsors