Fine line shading

Andrew Biggs

Hi everyone.

I’ve been approached a couple of times about the subject of fine line shading which can be quite a mystery to a lot of people. So I’ve started a new thread on the subject hoping to help them along the way a bit.

Metal is a flat(ish) surface just like paper but instead of using a pencil to draw on our canvas we cut the surface to create our lines. Because the metal has no high or low points therefore no shadows are created by our main cuts. When light is reflected off the surface of the metal it is reasonably flat to look at, just like paper.

So we have to create the illusion of shadows which gives the engraving a 3 dimensional look. It also helps create texture.

The first picture shows shadows when things are layered. If we were to cut out each leaf from another piece of metal and stack them onto one another it would be a true 3 dimensional object like in real life and cast its own shadows. Because we can’t do that, we have to create the illusion of doing it by creating our own shadows with lines cut into the metal.

The second picture shows the effect of line spacing and thickness.

The third picture is how you put it all together in actual practice.

Now I must emphasize a couple of things…………The first is that this is my way of doing it. Others will think differently and approach it another way depending on their own experiences. Second, the best way to get your head round it is with a pencil and paper and draw till you drop!!! After a while it’ll just click into place.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors