Fingers Numb! - Bad stippling technique?

RyanCol

I have been experiencing numbness in the tips of my thumb, index and middle fingers on my right hand. I think this may be from stippling relieved backgrounds, as I have been doing more of this lately. Has anyone else experienced this?
I was wondering if I was using poor technique. I use a carbide point in a GRS 901 with a graver max set at 1000-1400 for stippling. I just read one of Sam's posts on stippling where he was running at 4200. Is that my problem? Do I need to increase my speed?
Any feedback and advice would be much appreciated. I've been goldsmithing for most of my life and have never had anything like this happen.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
RyanCol,

I have had a couple of large projects (motorcycles) where I have had to do a huge amount of stipple. I ran into similar trouble, not with numbness too much, but with pain in my wrist and hand. I tried many positions, etc. to try to relieve the pain and finally found a way to stipple without that happening. If you are like me, my wrist was more perpendicular to the work than parallel (and in a much more awkward position than regular engraving), for these large jobs. What I did was to raise my elbow to be parallel with my shoulder and raise the work so the position of my wrist while I stippled for hours was parallel to the work and the floor. I found an old box of exactly the right height for my elbow and placed my arm on the box which was placed on the table I was working on. With this set up my shoulder was relaxed, my wrist was in line with my arm and my hand only had to lightly hold the hand piece as opposed to gripping it in an odd way. The other thing I found helpful was that I didn't move my wrist at all. I moved the hand piece in small circles, but I originated the movement from my shoulder so that my entire arm was involved in the movement. This took the stress of overworking the wrist/hand muscles away and my shoulder was relaxed and never felt discomfort. It certainly wasn't cool to look at, but it saved me hours of pain as I stippled seemingly forever. :)

Now, when I do smaller items I don't employ the box, but I do try to move the work so that I can attack it so my wrist is parallel to the work. Also, it helps to remember to relax - I know, easier said than done. Sometimes I still find myself with the grip of death on the hand piece and have to relax and let the tool do the work. If you are still having trouble, the only other idea I have involves how you hold the hand piece when you stipple. I put my index finger on the back of the hand piece and orient the hose so that it comes out of the back exactly where I want my index finger to be. This gives me a reference point for the tip of the tool. If I put the tool down and go back to it I want to use the same part of the tip so the background pattern does not change and this allows me to pick up the hand piece and keep it in the same orientation. It also gives me a little leverage and is helpful for me to hold onto the hand piece due to the fact that I have small hands. With my index finger on the back part I use my thumb, middle and ring finger to steady/guide the tip. This gives me a firm grip on the tool using only a relaxed, light pressure. If you are gripping the tool too tight it will cause muscle issues too. Hope this helps! :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had a similar experience with stippling having had the tip of my thumb go numb. I did not realize it while it was happening until I felt the numbness and it took well over a month for the feeling to return to normal.

I was using a 901 handpiece and was holding my index finger over the top and my thumb on the side of the handpiece where it is tapered to accept the piston, etc.

Recently, I have been doing some stippling and have moved my thumb off of the palm knob to the side of the stippling punch. It gives excellent control and so far no more numbness.

I use about 2000 strokes per min on my Gravermax. Also, I take a break and move my fingers vigorously after every 10 -15 minutes.

Peter

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most numbness comes from the spine. wrist and hand pain from overwork. If your getting numbness most likely it's from poor posture at the bench. Most anybody that's been at a bench long enough experience either numbness, curved spine or surgery. Microscopes are a blessing. They keep you in a nice straight posture instead of hunched over your work.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:D I hang elastic ribbon from the ceiling [get if from the wife's sewing stuff].
Lope the air hose though the ribbon with a small paper clamp on the hose to adjust the height. Wrap tape on the end of the stippler for your fingers. Keeps it perpendicular to the work piece with very little effort.

Sorry will not work with microscopes. :)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is one other aspect that we might be forgetting. Vibration is one of the most powerful destructive forces in the universe. It will reveal itself in funny ways and exasterbate some of the physical results you are feeling. Angles, pressure, and grip are definate factors too.

I think Tira has the answer. A light touch and posture, plus take breaks and give your fingers a chance to recuperate. Move your wrist and fingers to get blood flow back in them consistantly, even switching hands if need be. I think as much as the body is not made to stay in one place repeating an action for long enduring periods, it can endure a lot abuse before it begins to complain.

My two cents........

Ron S

RyanCol

Thank you everyone for your help. I made some adjustments today. Increased my strokes per min to 2000-3000, changed finger position (gripping lower on the point), and tried to hold the handpiece in a more relaxed hand. I think it's going to help. The vibration didn't seem as aggressive. Of course, my fingers are still numb for now. Time will tell if this made the difference.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to try to help me with this.

RyanCol

Hello everyone. I have an update. A physical therapist friend of mine convinced me to come see him about my fingers (he was worried about some other more serious causes for the numbness). Everything's fine. Looks like my biggest problem was probably holding my wrist at a 90 degree angle while stippling, which cut off the blood flow to my hand. The vibration was also a problem, though the faster stroke speed seems to be more tolerable.
So, if anyone is having a similar problem, try keeping your wrist in a more neutral position, adjust stroke speed, and take breaks.

Last edited:

catnip

White finger

my floor manager, in the hospital where work got wind that i did hand engraving on my days off (she didn't know what hand engraving was). She produced a box full of surgical instruments, plus one of those hand held electric engraving things (sometimes refered to as a 'lecky nail'). so there i was, buzzing away, scratching the letters A&E on these instruments when a 'health and safety officer' stopped me and advised me against 'vibration white finger'. which apparently can cause nerve damage, numbness and white finger. so i politely told my manager to find someone else to carry on with this tedious task. Tony

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
my floor manager, in the hospital where work got wind that i did hand engraving on my days off (she didn't know what hand engraving was). She produced a box full of surgical instruments, plus one of those hand held electric engraving things (sometimes refered to as a 'lecky nail'). so there i was, buzzing away, scratching the letters A&E on these instruments when a 'health and safety officer' stopped me and advised me against 'vibration white finger'. which apparently can cause nerve damage, numbness and white finger. so i politely told my manager to find someone else to carry on with this tedious task. Tony

Its great that you got out of doing a really boring piece of work but white finger is actually caused by cumulative exposure to some really serious vibrating tools, like jackhammers, concrete pounders, chainsaws and powerful pneumatic tools.

Allan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
IN MY EARLY DAYS I USED A "DEATH GRIP" ON TOOLS FOR LONG HOURS. IT GOT TO THE POINT THAT SOMETIMES I HAD TO PEEL MY FINGERS AWAY FROM A GRAVER HANDLE TO PUT IT DOWN ! man that was dumb, not tomention numb.

Latest posts

Sponsors