Firearm finishing

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Recently there has been discussion about French grey techniques. There is a Book that at one time was very difficult to get and has many recipes to use to finish firearms. FIREARM BLUING AND BROWNING by R. H. Angier and Ned Schwing. It was published in 1936. I don't know if there is anything on French grey in it, but it is a very comprehensive book. It was reprinted in 2008 and you can get it on amazon. Original copies are listed as high as $329. The reprints are as low as $24. Just some information for those who might be interested. Even If you are not a firearm finisher, I think you would enjoy educating yourself on how different finishes were applied.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike,
After you have time to study the book let us Know what you think. I am not a firearm finisher but found the book to be very informative. I was lucky to get my hands on the book back when Amazon didn't exist.
I’ll try to remember to share my findings. Amazon says the book will arrive may 8th….. so it will be quite a while! It may slip my mind by then. It was that or buy and ebook for the same price or about 46$ for a hardcover from other sites.
No rush so I picked cheap and slow!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had the original book for 30 years. While is is very complete as a chemistry manual, I've never used any of the formulas on an actual gun. A lot of the chemicals required are cost prohibitive as they are only available in quantity, or have restricted ownership to purchase. There are too many solutions on the market that are readily available to fool around with. However, if you are an inveterate tinker and have access to a college lab, you might want to putz around a bit.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brownell's gunsmithing supply's has every thing you'll ever need to put a fine finish on guns I have an outside shop were I hot and slow rust bluing Brownell's is my go to people to call for good tec. advice and supply's. J.J.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tip, I just got a hard cover copy off Amazon for 26$.
Thanks for the Amazon tip, I’ve looked before but didn’t catch the reprints. I ended up getting a digital copy from B&N for about $17 but you have to use their Nook app, I much more prefer a hard copy.

Latest posts

Sponsors