Firearms Drawings

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Trying to shortcut the process!
I have looked in the FEGA handbook, Forum Tips, and online for full size drawings of these 2 firearms:

1-J. Stevens "Favorite" Model 1915

2-Win Models, 1890, 1906, 62 or 62A. They are the same as to the action size, screw hole placement etc.

Would like to beg, borrow or steal a set of basic drawings for drawing engraving designs. OR If there is a slick way of taking a scan or impression or whatever of an action and having the same result as a drawing.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger
Make our own i do because this way i know they are the exact full size and i can blow them up on the computer for drawing or whatever easy to do. You can either do a rubbing and then ink in the edges or i have often done a smoke pull then touch up the outlines once they are on your computer you can do file them for future use

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
A smoke lamp or even a candle with a couple of drops of motor oil added to the melted wax.
Pick the smoke print up with clear shipping tape and stick it on a sheet of white paper.
cover with tracing paper and draw the outline and screw holes with a .1 mm fine line marker.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
I am of the make-your-own school of thought.

A starting point would be a good set of "square-on" photos of the left, right and top of the action. Import the pictures into your drawing program and draw over the outline and other salient features -- screws, ejection ports, etc. I use Inkscape, which is a free drawing program. Corel and Adobe both have drawing programs that are excellent as well. The result will not be to scale but the proportions will be correct and if the drawing is in a scalable vector format, you can easily adjust the size to match the receiver dimensions.

My source for images is Simpson Ltd, a collectors firearms dealer in Illinois. If they have the firearm you are looking to embellish in stock, they have very clear pictures that you can zoom in on. Using the Microsoft snipping tool, I capture that part of the picture that I am interested in, save it on my computer, and import it into the drawing program.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to all for sharing your methods of reproducing a full size drawing. Blowing them up to design makes a lot sense to work the design out then reducing to full scale for making a transfer - appreciate your help.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
These methods all seem to work Roger. I have for years taken digital photos, made prints and then drew outlines with pencil and paper. The drawings can be scanned and printed to any size for design and transfer. I make several. I try not to make the design outlines too large or I tend to put too much design in what turns out to be too small a space.

Latest posts

Sponsors