Firearms Outline Methods

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
As usual, this post is not for the old dogs.
And to not hijack Ray Covers great idea and post.
Here are a few of the methods I use to make firearms outlines but there are dozens of others. Just a matter of picking a method that suits you and the materials you have on hand. For many methods I find it handy to have either/or masking tape or 3" wide Scotch Book tape #845 on hand. In a pinch I just use shipping tape.
With the masking tape I burnish the edges of the flats to follow the profile slightly.
Then with a really sharp Xacto knife and holding a little tension on the overhang you can cut sideways down the line. Don't cut straight down, of course.
With clear tape you can use a smoke lamp, a white board magic marker or transfer wax and white or black powder. I usually put my clear tape lifts face to face with another piece of clear tape or stick them to a transparent sheet. That way they are easy to make reverse copies.
To get really crisp outline copies I usually trace over the lifts with a .1mm fine marking pen from Itoya or others.
One of the pulls shown #4 is a smoke pull for record keeping of part of a Colt 1911 that was completed with flush gold inlays. As flush gold does not show well on a smoke pull this was taken when the cavities were cut. It is not only a record copy but can also serve as an outline copy for other 1911's.

The first picture shows a lift made with masking tape and then stuck to a sheet of cardboard and the edges traced on.
The second picture has smoke pulls in the top three, a white powder pull of a Martini Cadet next ( put over black paper for easier viewing) and the bottom image is the same Martini but done with a black color Whiteboard Magic Marker.
The third picture is the frame of a Colt 1911 made from a printing ink rub that was picked up on layers of shipping tape.

Hope this is a little help to some. I'm sure Ray will chime in later with some of his methods but he's a little rushed right now getting ready for Blade and Scott and Rhoda's Engrave-In.
Best regards.
John B.

PS> For some reason the computer gremlins won't let me attach Method 4.
I'll rescan it and post it later. :(:confused:

Attachments

• Firearms Outline Methods 001.jpg
    Firearms Outline Methods 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 515
  • Firearms Outlines Method 2 001.jpg
    Firearms Outlines Method 2 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 500
  • Firearms Outline Methods 3 001.jpg
    Firearms Outline Methods 3 001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Here is another try to post Method 4.
YES! JOY! It worked.

Attachments

• Firearm Outline Methods 4 001.jpg
    Firearm Outline Methods 4 001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,

Thank you so much:) I wanted to do something like this but I am in kind of a time crunch this last couple weeks before the Blade Show and Engrave In.

Again thanks for stepping in and helping out.

Ray

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
John B.
Is the pull of the martini a re-cut of the lettering and logo?

If you are really in a hurry you can always use a copy machine.

Sandy

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you sir!

This gives us a chance to pitch in.

Question: is it usefull to include a scale reference? I'm thinking a rule line of a few inches marked off so you can confirm that your copy / printout is the correct size.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you sir!

This gives us a chance to pitch in.

Question: is it usefull to include a scale reference? I'm thinking a rule line of a few inches marked off so you can confirm that your copy / printout is the correct size.

Lay a thin plastic ruler with the smoke pulls, when in the
photo copier so it will print your scale.
:thumbs up:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
KCSteve and Metalchipper,
A ruler might be a help to some but I find it easier and best to just print a transparency on a cheap non-transfer grade film and lay it over the actual firearm when I have it in hand to see where it does or doesn't match before I make a transfer quality, accurately sized drawing.
Sometimes firearms of the same brand and model vary slightly in one area and match in others and its easier to adjust just a blank outline.
Remember, the great value in "stock" outlines is to make a general, quick layouts and to estimate time and costs.
Most times a "stock" outline is not close enough for a final drawing.
If you want to make a transfer quality layout it should be done on an outline taken from the piece you are going to engrave.
Overlay and trace your drawing in places that fit places and redraw the places that don't.

Sandy,
The Martini was just a handy piece I had laying on my bench so I used it to demo.
It still has to be prepped for engraving and the lettering and logo will be removed.
But you raise a good point. It's good to have transfers of gun lettering and logos available. Anytime one gets a decent and popular gun with good lettering and logos in the shop it pays to make an ink or bone black lift on tape and apply it back to back with another tape. Instant reversals on the copy machine for printing.
Keep these on file for when you get a request to restore the lettering on a piece that is getting cleaned up.

Eastslope, you're more than welcome, my friend.

Best.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
John ... this is great stuff.

I've always used tracing paper and followed all of the lines I need including the lettering. Sometimes under the microscope or with an optivisor using 0.3 mechanical pencil. I scan it in and then clean it up. It's pretty accurate and sufficient for layout but nowhere near as accurate as your method.

One question I have is how you manage the recoil shield on revolvers. The Nimcshke book has been of some help in showing the curved surface as a "sliced" flat layout .... kinda like an old style world map that's sliced for hanging on a wall. Seeing it and actually doing it are truly very different. :)

Chris

monk

Staff member
recoil shields are best drawn direct. to me that's the only way to handle such a compound curve

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
My Methods for Firearms Outlines

When doing firearms outlines I use a heavy Vellum which is much better then tracing paper. I start off doing tracings with a pencil. Then after the tracings I go over them with a Rapidograph pen. I keep these outlines on file, where I lay more Vellum on top so I can do my initial layout for another project. This technique works well for me.

Attachments

• tacings1.jpg
    tacings1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 126
  • tacings2.jpg
    tacings2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 121
  • tacings4.jpg
    tacings4.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 124
  • tacings5.jpg
    tacings5.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 125

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of outline methods. I think it was J.J. that put up his library of outlines? How can we add to that database. I have quite a few nice hand drawn outlines of complete guns and others that I'd be happy to donate to the cause. Having a complete gun drawing is nice to practice layout on as it gives you a sense of what a completed project will look like.
Sam, if you can direct us, I'll post them.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple. These may not be down to the millimeter (can't remember) but they are great for initial layout and design. On the Bond, the lower left are the 3 barrel flats from the top and bottom. There are of course 5 flats so it can be extended for a continuous design

Attachments

• Colt 1903 001.jpg
    Colt 1903 001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of outline methods. I think it was J.J. that put up his library of outlines? How can we add to that database. I have quite a few nice hand drawn outlines of complete guns and others that I'd be happy to donate to the cause. Having a complete gun drawing is nice to practice layout on as it gives you a sense of what a completed project will look like.
Sam, if you can direct us, I'll post them.

Sam?

Carlos De La O III

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If its difficult for Sam,I can post the library on my server for everyone's use.
Why would that be any easier? People don't read the forum from your server, and only present company would know that it's there.
Perhaps Sam's philosophy is the same as mine: "Poor Planning on your part does not create an emergency on My Part."
I'm sure he'll respond when he gets a round tuit.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why would that be any easier? People don't read the forum from your server, and only present company would know that it's there.
Perhaps Sam's philosophy is the same as mine: "Poor Planning on your part does not create an emergency on My Part."
I'm sure he'll respond when he gets a round tuit.

?? What are you talking about could you please explain yourself, not clear, it would be a link to a place where you can find outlines how is that difficult? You search in this forum like your support to You find the post on firearm outlines you click on the link and there it is...

And if its on the net its available to the world.

There are many things that are shared on this forum that are hosted elsewhere fonts and other things how would this be any different? Where's the poor planning? I believe all the man wants to do is host a place where people can submit outlines download online so basically just share and help each other out.

How would this be an emergency for you???

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors