Firearms Photography Lighting Setup - How it's done for the Walther catalog

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An old photographer friend of mine sent me a bunch of photos of how the firearms photos are being made for the new Walther catalog. I am sharing them with you. I think the use of soft boxes, diffusers, white card stock reflectors, hanging wires, etc. will help anyone wishing to improve their firearms and/or jewelry photography. Perhaps Sam will keep them in the Tips Archive for future reference. :thumbsup::banana:

Doc

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is really fantastic Doc. Thanks for posting it. This is a rare look into the studio of a pro photographer and his setups. Absolutely fantastic info!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wow, doc-- thanks for sharing this "trade secret". quite insightful as to how the real guys do this.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you. I've been really frustrated with my photos. Looks like I have something to try now.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Doc

These photos are as has been said worth a thousand words. "Shooting" long guns is especially challenging. I have tried the "cheap" ways of lighting and concluded there is "NO" cheap way. What is shown here is professional lighting, support equipment and the space the size of a one car garage. Several thousand euro/dollars invested. If known what is the camera lens used? Edge sharpness at the extreme ends and the lack of any distortion seems to indicate a longer focal length. Thanks for this post

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors