Critique Request First scroll design, I would really appreciate your advice/critique/opinions

vanLanen

Hello everyone,

I want to show my first scroll design, I’ve been practicing and studying scrolls in my free time the past couple weeks.
its still really challenging tho, this one is really simple but for my first I’m pretty pleased with the results.

please let me know what you think.
- Thomas van Lanen
34486BA2-561D-400E-9F42-8B552728382A.jpeg

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Thomas. My first thought was it is much better than my early attempts. Keep up the good work. My second thought was ‘thorny’. I don’t like all the small outside leaf features. I also don’t like the origin. Just my opinions though.

How about starting again with something like this?

Attachments

• C84F62F1-033E-49A1-B8E4-792110DED200.jpeg
    C84F62F1-033E-49A1-B8E4-792110DED200.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 82

vanLanen

Hi Thomas. My first thought was it is much better than my early attempts. Keep up the good work. My second thought was ‘thorny’. I don’t like all the small outside leaf features. I also don’t like the origin. Just my opinions though.

How about starting again with something like this?
Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for making the drawing.
yes the origin is a point where I struggle a lot to come up with a matching design.
now you’ve said Thorny, all I see now is thorns, when I look at the design.
ill be practicing more leaf shapes! Thanks again

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello there Thomas, I like your first scrolls. I’m just starting myself and your drawing skills far surpass my own, that being said here are a couple of easy leaves that I’m sure you can incorporate into your future designs. Dustin Byrn F8B9D426-E479-4A75-ADE0-483C33131A0E.jpeg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the leaf structure is too wide. such destroys the element of flow to youur design i would have also started where you did, but with a scroll, not leaves. i'd advise designing with basic scroll and not getting into much detaailing. it all takes time.

vanLanen

Hello there Thomas, I like your first scrolls. I’m just starting myself and your drawing skills far surpass my own, that being said here are a couple of easy leaves that I’m sure you can incorporate into your future designs. Dustin Byrn View attachment 47381
Thanks for your reply and drawing Dustin.
i did indeed think about a few different leaf structures, but im afraid it’s gonna look to cluttered, I tried to keep it a bit in the same style, but see now it’s not really working out.
thanks,
-Thomas

vanLanen

the leaf structure is too wide. such destroys the element of flow to youur design i would have also started where you did, but with a scroll, not leaves. i'd advise designing with basic scroll and not getting into much detaailing. it all takes time.
Thank you for the advise Monk, I’ll work on it.

Latest posts

Sponsors