Critique Request First Zippo

WSammut

All finished up, this was a great learning experience and a huge step in my skills. I was supposed to finally take my first GRS class after years of trying unsuccessfully for years. I got into Sams zippo class but that was obviously canceled so I decided to go about it myself. Finally cracked open many of the design books that Ive collected and never got to and Sams new shading DVD. Quite happy with my results, a few little things id change as always: really dont like that very end leaf, original intent was to do both sides but when I saw how long it was taking I only could do one and I'd prefer it was on the other side because of the hinge, didn't realize even the brass zippos had a plating so theres a bit of color funck, some of my shade lines got a bit heavy. but also way happy with how the letters came out. Please let me know what you guys think so I can grow even more!
Also, how long would you estimate this job would take? I timed it but just want to see where I line up with where I should be. Seems crazy expensive to me but im new to the pricing.
Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• Zippo 1 - Copy.jpg
    Zippo 1 - Copy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Zippo 2 - Copy.jpg
    Zippo 2 - Copy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Not a critique by any stretch of the imagination, but why is the "S" capitalized at the end, for me it disrupts the flow.

Otherwise it's a very pleasing design and execution.

WSammut

Not a critique by any stretch of the imagination, but why is the "S" capitalized at the end, for me it disrupts the flow.

Otherwise it's a very pleasing design and execution.
Someone suggested doing it and it looked like it balanced it nicely so I went with it. Thanks

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
A true masterpiece, I hope that the lighter is sterling silver...
I wonder if the MORRIS inscription is a trade mark, or just a name.
On a ribbon type surface all capital letters could look more convincing, with even margins at top and bottom. Nevertheless, it is still a masterpiece.

WSammut

A true masterpiece, I hope that the lighter is sterling silver...
I wonder if the MORRIS inscription is a trade mark, or just a name.
On a ribbon type surface all capital letters could look more convincing, with even margins at top and bottom. Nevertheless, it is still a masterpiece.
Thank you! Its brass unfortunately, its a gift for my father-in-law and silver wasnt in my budget. Thanks for input

monk

Staff member
there are, or USED TO BE, solid brass zippos. the few i've done cut nicely with no problems. i have also engraved plated zippos. some were ok,. one was a disaster. i no longer will do platied items. even if the client accepts the risk. if one starts a plated item, maybe you have a couple hours on it, then ping ! flaking occurs. other than deplating and starting all over again, you got a total mess. best to avoid plated stuff. btw: you work looks very nice.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you! Its brass unfortunately, its a gift for my father-in-law and silver wasnt in my budget. Thanks for input

You have produced a masterpiece on an object of very limited value. Even a sterling silver Zippo is very modest in value compared to the worth of your job. There's always a next time...

WSammut

You have produced a masterpiece on an object of very limited value. Even a sterling silver Zippo is very modest in value compared to the worth of your job. There's always a next time...
I appreciate the compliment very much and can’t disagree with you at all. This was a gift for my father-in-law and a silver zippo just want in the budget and I was also using this job as a trial to calculate time and as a portfolio piece that hopefully will land me a silver zippo commission or another job in that price range. Thanks again

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
How can one critique, and price doesn't matter.
It was made as a loving gift for family.
WSammut, don't worry about the time it took.
You did a great job and will get faster with experience.

WSammut

How can one critique, and price doesn't matter.
It was made as a loving gift for family.
WSammut, don't worry about the time it took.
You did a great job and will get faster with experience.
Thank you very much! I only asked about the time so that I can better quote for the (hopeful) next one. Want to know if maybe I’m a bit over on my time, I’m sure I am as it was the fist job of that scale a did and some was learning as I went. Appreciate the compliment!