Flare/transition cut question

Adder

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi friends. Bought Mr Sams video on flare/transition cutting some time ago. I have tried the method, it`s fun and it`s fast, and even looks okey, but I think I have still a lack of deacent graver controll. I have used a Lindsay universal point graver.

I wonder if you can tell me cons and pros using a 120 or a 116 degree graver point. Is there actaully a difference?

Jørn-Ove flarecutaage8.jpg

Last edited:

oniemarc

Looks fantastic to me...no proof of any lack of graver control, hahaha.

I feel the only real difference is, that the 120 wants to cut wider sooner, when you roll the graver. Also cuts slightly more shallow in the sides. But I don't really see or feel a difference other than that.

Michael Rodriguez

I wish I was this good at flare cutting. I've been trying to practice much more. I am still a novice, but this piece is definitely something I would be satisfied with buying if I were the customer.

DDriller

Looks good to me but I don't know much about engraving yet. The file work on the blade looks good too.

monk

Staff member
I wish I was this good at flare cutting. I've been trying to practice much more. I am still a novice, but this piece is definitely something I would be satisfied with buying if I were the customer.
for the very best example of this cut, go to the archive. roger bleile did a buckle that nicely demonstrates rthe potential of this cut.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi friends. Bought Mr Sams video on flare/transition cutting some time ago. I have tried the method, it`s fun and it`s fast, and even looks okey, but I think I have still a lack of deacent graver controll. I have used a Lindsay universal point graver.

I wonder if you can tell me cons and pros using a 120 or a 116 degree graver point. Is there actaully a difference?

Jørn-Ove View attachment 50815
Adder,

Your flare cutting looks excellent, In any case this link will take you to the flare cutting tutorial I made for the Engravers Cafe 15 years ago.
Tutorial: Flare/Transition Cut tutorial by Roger Bleile | The Engraver's Cafe (engraverscafe.com)

monk

Staff member
kinda strange. roger preferred a square for this cut. i was more able to control the flat graver. never hurts to xperiment. in this art one size does not always fit all.

Adder

Adder,

Your flare cutting looks excellent, In any case this link will take you to the flare cutting tutorial I made for the Engravers Cafe 15 years ago.
Tutorial: Flare/Transition Cut tutorial by Roger Bleile | The Engraver's Cafe (engraverscafe.com)
Thank you Roger. It's an excellent tutorial. Remember that I had plans to ask you about it among other questions when I was at FEGA in 2020, but if remeber correct, you was sick and couldn’t be at the show ...Anyway I was Lucky to find a lot of nice people who answered all my silly questions about engraving :):thumbsup::):)

Adder

kinda strange. roger preferred a square for this cut. i was more able to control the flat graver. never hurts to xperiment. in this art one size does not always fit all.
Never tried a flat. Think I have seen it used in western bright cut on youtube. Maybe I will try that method. Is there any special angles(face/heel) you prefere when cutting such work ?

monk

Staff member
Never tried a flat. Think I have seen it used in western bright cut on youtube. Maybe I will try that method. Is there any special angles(face/heel) you prefere when cutting such work ?
i never did a special geometry. just a 45 face with or wo heel. suffice to say. i never practiced the cut enough to become satisfied with my results. my customers were happy, just not me.

Latest posts

Sponsors