Flat Disk Grinder - Glass to Carbalt?

Jenny2

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
Hi - I have a flat disk grinder for glass work. It is variable speed. The grit is 360. Does anyone see any issues before i try to use it to sharpen a graver? If not, I'm also trying to figure out how to get the graver to the correct height - I'm using the Lindsay sharpening system - suggestions welcome. Please see photo. I do not want to ruin my grinder!

Attachments

papart1

you have what is refered to in the sharpening world as an "interrupted sharpening surface" Meaning its not 100% covered in carbide. I would stay away from sharpening burins on you nice platen. blades, chisels ect o.k. but the small diameters will chew up the high spots and dig out the low spots. I hope this helped. paps

papart1

Jen........do you use a wet paper towel as your grind thee glass to do two things, 1 reduces airborn glass particles and 2 really helps the surface to gring faster and cleaner..........you'll see a big difference

Jenny2

Thread starter #4
Thanks! I decided to order Lindsay's 260 grit pad and see if I can make it fit. For $32 it seems worth a try and worse case someday maybe i'll have a real hone for my pad. Any thoughts on how to get the height exact between the template and the pad?

Jenny2

Thread starter #5
Jen........do you use a wet paper towel as your grind thee glass to do two things, 1 reduces airborn glass particles and 2 really helps the surface to gring faster and cleaner..........you'll see a big difference
Yes, I always use water when grinding glass. I need to keep it cool. I have a wet belt sander too, and mainly use it. This smaller unit sits around.

Online you can find inexpensive diamond wheels/laps. If you measure the lap/wheel that is on there now. Inner hole and outer diameter. Then you can buy those. I have a homemade powerhone. And have brought a set of diamond laps 240,600,1200 and 3000 Grit. For less than $40 total for 4 laps. If you can find some that will fit your machine then you are good to go.

Here is the link to the ones I got:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32471743991.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQ6VED0

Jenny2

Thread starter #11
Online you can find inexpensive diamond wheels/laps. If you measure the lap/wheel that is on there now. Inner hole and outer diameter. Then you can buy those. I have a homemade powerhone. And have brought a set of diamond laps 240,600,1200 and 3000 Grit. For less than $40 total for 4 laps. If you can find some that will fit your machine then you are good to go.

Here is the link to the ones I got:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32471743991.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQ6VED0
Thank you! I hope i can make this work. I have Lindsay's diamond blocks too, but i thought this unit seemed pretty close to a hone.

papart1

until you get your solid lap, just use the .5" blocks from Uncle Steve and do it by hand.......it just takes a little longer. How far does lap stick up above that strainer table when its set up?

monk

Staff member
is the grinder variable speed ? if not, you may be able to install a controller if the motor is of the right type. i had a grs powerhone. i also made 2 different ones using dc motors. one from an old tape transport. the other from a treadmill motor.

Jenny2

Thread starter #15
is the grinder variable speed ? if not, you may be able to install a controller if the motor is of the right type. i had a grs powerhone. i also made 2 different ones using dc motors. one from an old tape transport. the other from a treadmill motor.
Yes, it is variable! :)

1/2 inch above the wheel is standard height for Lindsay templates.
Sorry, ain't it opposite?
The disc should be 1/2' above the level of the template base?!
- So the template base is lower than the wheel!

My grinding wheels are all different thick, I level it out with different thick (Rest-) pieces of plywood.
Works well for me!

Greetings,
tako

Jenny2

Thread starter #17
I got the 260 disk from Lindsay. Attached/below is my grinder. The grinder disk hole is 2 cm and the new disk is 1 cm. The new disk slides over the center rod fine, but still too much play. Maybe some of you clever minds can help me make this work. I either need to make the new 260 disk center a bit smaller - the center rod is about .5 cm, or i need to make the 260 disk hole larger. I have a drill press, but i don't know if i can cut the steel or what type of bit i'd need. I have the round diamond bit with the hex in it that tightens to the rod, but i don't think i'd ever get it tight enough to hold the disk. Thoughts? So close! IMG_3760.JPG IMG_3763.JPG IMG_3761.JPG IMG_3764.JPG IMG_3765.JPG

First you need to make a precise measurements. Up to 0.1mm. Knowing diameters of the central rod, bottom mandrel and a small hole in the diamond disk will help you choose the right mandrel adapter. You can buy such adapter or someone with a lathe can do it for you. Drill press is not precise for such a work.

Jenny2

Thread starter #19
First you need to make a precise measurements. Up to 0.1mm. Knowing diameters of the central rod, bottom mandrel and a small hole in the diamond disk will help you choose the right mandrel adapter. You can buy such adapter or someone with a lathe can do it for you. Drill press is not precise for such a work.
ah, thanks!

Latest posts

Sponsors