Foley-Belsaw Power Hone?

pkroyer

::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
At the same sale where I purchased the Jun-Air compressor, I also purchased a Foley-Belsaw honer. I thought it looked a lot like the old used GRS Power Hone I got off eBay about a year ago. I got it because, I was concerned about the motor on the GRS unit, a little noisy.

See the attached images, they appear almost identical. The Foley-Belsaw unit has a post on top to mount a stop that rides about 1/16th over the disk. I came with an 8 inch, 500 grit diamond wheel in okay condition. On the underneath inside, they both have the same warning sticker. I think that they sold the unit to hone hair clipper blades.

I believe that they both were made at the same place. My guess is that Glendo (GRS) made the unit for Foley-Belsaw.

Without a picture, if I saw the unit listed on a sale bill or CL as a clipper sharpener, I would not have thought Power Hone.

Phil

Attachments

John B.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have 3 hones and one of mine is also a Foley-Belsaw. My other two are GRS labeled.
Like you I believe it was GRS made or made by the company that made them for GRS.
The Foley-Belsaw had a slightly dished lap for sharpening radius clippers when I bought it used. It also had a hole in the flat top for attaching a vertical fixture post.
I just put a 600 lap on it and use my standard GRS fixtures. I think I have had it for about thirty years and hundreds of school students have used it as well as me. It's been well used.
The bearings are now a bit noisy but it never misses a beat. Hope you enjoy yours.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have an older GRS power hone, which may, or may not, have used the same motor as shown in your second photo. You'll notice a raised bump on the end bell shown in the photo, and there should also be a spot on the other end for a bronze/brass bushing and an opening for a few drops of oil. I can't tell if such is there from the photo. If the hone sits idle, or has been well used, you'll get noise or just a 'hum' and no movement. I use a product called Tufoil, and it is excellent. It used to be made with a pen/needle applicator. You may, or may not, be able to replace those bushings. My old GRS hone is still going strong!

pkroyer

Thread starter #4
I am hoping that one or both of these units will work for me for a long time. I will check for a place on the motor to add oil, it sound like I need some Tufoil.

I appreciate both of the replies.

thanks

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors