Question: From every angle

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I’m not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by an “angle to start designs with”?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
For all the nerds out there, do you have a favorite angle to start designs with? I know calligraphy has a 55 degree slant which I like for layouts, anyone else got something they are just drawn to?
In my opinion your calibrated eyes are the best judge. A firm reliance on numbers will probably produce a more mechanical looking result.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i quite agree with crossbolt. templates may be ok for an absolute newb. as one gains experience, the templates simply get in the way of spontaniety. to me the use of templates makes kerning text way more tricky. the eyeball way is much bertter.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Don´t overthink it :) I have seen many people trying to use different kinds of templates and techniques to get the "perfect" scroll.. Some totally overkill and seems like they get more hung up in the way to do it rather than a good design..

I´m sure for some it might be helpful but as others have said too, they can easily look mechanical or like copy/paste scrolls.. With a little practice and a little more practice you will train your eyes and hand muscles to get it right..

This is good for later jobs too when you suddenly have to draw directly on a object or doesn´t have or cant use any templates.. Things that you maybe feel will make it easier for you now can easily give you a disfavor later.

Then again, I dont thnk there is only one correct way.. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors