Garage News: Day Three Gratitude

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Today's gratitude is a story. Years ago I was driving to Emporia Kansas to teach a class for GRS/Glendo. It's a long trip 20 hours in a car and it crosses some of the most boring roads in the universe-southern Wyoming from Rock Springs to Laramie. The highlight of that stretch is usually a hawk in the sky or on a fence post with an occasional cow for good measure.
It's a good stretch to listen to audio books and so I did. On this particular occasion I chose one of the multitude of books on how to be happy, successful living, self help, etc. The author had a section on being grateful and suggested that the book be turned off and the listener try to spend one to two minutes thinking of things for which they are grateful. Ok, I have nothing to do for the next four hundred miles let's give it a whirl. I noted the clock and began starting first with what was closest to my heart- my Savior and my family. I reflected on His life, example, gospel, and Grace. What they meant to me and how my life has been blessed accordingly. My thought turned to my family considering each member and their marvelous character traits, the goodness of their hearts, their love and support for me and how they have blessed my life as well as the life of others. I continued on to my neighbors and friends through the years, the sun shining through the window, food to eat, nature, a wonderful class of students and support from a terrific company awaiting me, and like a good rapper my gratitude would pivot on a single word racing in a new direction. When I finally stopped and looked at the clock 15 minutes had passed and I suspect I could have easily filled another 15.
It's really difficult to feel angry, discouraged, or disappointed when one focuses on the good that surrounds her/him. It's therapeutic, uplifting, and a release from life's spit wads and pot holes. I challenge you to find a quiet spot, close your eyes-not suitable for driving- and spend some time reflecting on what's good in your life.
Have a great start to the week.
#givethanks

Attachments

• DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF2524.jpg
    DSCF2524.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF2525.jpg
    DSCF2525.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 49

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
And the engraving community is truly blessed to have someone as amazing in so many ways as you are Lee.

You are one of the few people that I have met in my life that when I read your messages I hear you voice. You are gifted in more ways than you will ever know.

I’m just grateful that every few years I get to see you in Las Vegas and talk about rope-twists.

Take care and have a very warm-inside Holiday season.

Brant

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
in orwellian speak, 'double plus good" . a question from a fan, that's me, "what percentage of the total job time do you think is planning and drawing" ? must be a lot. just curious

Latest posts

Sponsors