Gold background

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Carlos, is this what you're wanting to see?

This is the start of the background inlay. I used a scribe to scratch in an undercut around each background area then a small chisel to kick up lines of teeth. I found I liked the look much better if the gold was shaded with stipple shading.

Attachments

• GM project progress 01 Sep 12 cafe.jpg
    GM project progress 01 Sep 12 cafe.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 525

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I am looking forward to seeing this finished product! But then again all of your work amazes me. Awesome!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Can anyone please explain how this is done. Gold leaf or inlay thanks

Good morning Dave,
There is an excellent post on this subject in the "Tips Archive."
It is titled Gold Inlay by Alain Lovenberg.
Even has diagrams of his methods and the tools used.
Best of luck with your research.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam and Phil. You guys aren't human. I need to get some criptonite to deal with you two. Just when I get to thinking I.m good you guys come up with this stuff.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not saying one way is better than the other but I do my gold background with gold sheet about .002 or .003 thick and use the single tooth method of attachment.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For those who may think that creating a gold overlaid background is something new or cutting edge, I offer two pictures of a wheellock pistol made in 1605 by Munich engraver Emanuel Sadeler. Emanuel, along with his brother Daniel are the earliest gun engravers that I know of by name. Their shop was active from 1594-1610. The third picture is detail of another wheellock engraved in 1610 for Maximilian I of Bavaria.

Attachments

• Munich School, Sadeler Workshop ca.1605-lock.jpg
    Munich School, Sadeler Workshop ca.1605-lock.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Munich School, Sadeler Workshop ca.1605-butt4.jpg
    Munich School, Sadeler Workshop ca.1605-butt4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Wheellock for Max.I Bavaria ca.1600-1610-Emanuel Sadeler engr.Munich 1594–1610-lockcu.jpg
    Wheellock for Max.I Bavaria ca.1600-1610-Emanuel Sadeler engr.Munich 1594–1610-lockcu.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 150

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
I didn't think this was a new technique, only that it is somewhat new to me. Im only looking to add this to my skill set and was trying to determine how thick the gold layer might be. I am placing a gold/silver order with Rio Grande and just wanted take the opportunity to shorten my experimentation curve by asking here for some firsthand knowledge. If no one responds I will start with 26gauge and go from there and find my own way :)

Don

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We have discussed this before on this forum. There are at least four ways that I have seen this done. Sam had described two of them, one with wire and one with teeth. I use the single tooth method my self because I think it is faster and can be used in tight corners more easily. Below is a copy of a previous one I posted using sheet gold and single teeth. It can be done using inlays but it is slow and harder in my opinion. I have seen some antique guns that were done using what appeared to be small gold BBs or pieces of wire installed as small dots. I finished mine by texturing with a dot punch. The gold is .003 to .002 thick. You cannot buy gold that thin from a regular supplier. I roll my own.

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Don, I missed your question earlier. We were provided with gold wire that was, if I remember right .020" diameter. The background was taken back about .040" on mine...Alain goes even deeper...and once the wire is punched down it is maybe .010 or .012" so the depth of the engraving still is "deep".

Latest posts

Sponsors