Gold substitute?

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Im looking for a substitute for gold...(I can already hear the snickering):biggrin:
I want to add something yellow/gold like color onto a knife Im engraving for a friend of mine. His construction business logo is gold colored on his business cards and I would like to replicate it on the knife...without the expense of buying gold to do it. Have wondered if anyone out there has any experience with brushing on a small amount of Cerakote (or some other industrial coating that will hold up) into a recessed pocked.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
"Jewelers bronze" or red brass. One and the same. Available in wire sheet, and shot. Easiest source would probably be Rio.

One shot at setting it into the inlay pocket, relatively easy to solder on as an overlay.

If you are going to try and inlay it, it absolutely needs to be dead soft.

Stay the hell away from yellow brass alloys.

Brian

If you are simply looking for surface color, use a mask and plate it...

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engraved a retired NCHP's name and date of service on his gun and he was disappointed it didn't show prominently enough, so my gunsmith and I got together for a solution. I re-engraved it all a little deeper and he Cerracoted the lettering with their gold colored material, baked it and the customer was very pleased. I don't like re-cutting but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

LVCIAN

Rio sells the jewellers bronze as NuGold. Very cheaply if you can get in in the correct gauge.

Though for the "bit" of gold you are looking for a few penny weight of the real deal might be worth the frustration.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, thanks .... will experiment a little with that and see how it works....it is going on a stainless steel knife .... will have to figure out the best method for attaching it to knife sides. Thanks again

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I re-engraved it all a little deeper and he Cerracoted the lettering with their gold colored material, baked it and the customer was very pleased. I don't like re-cutting but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I was looking at their website last night wondering if I could use that....thanks again.