Critique Request 'Good Luck' horseshoe finished

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: A quick update of the finished horseshoe. I posted a couple of progress pics a while ago. My first horseshoe needed some more effect than only the lines & lettering so I decided to blacken the lines first. Without removing any background it missed a bit of contrast, so I stippled some extra shading (just experimenting, folks;)) By the way, the stippling texture is not blackened.

Attachments

• 'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 6(finished).jpg
    'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 6(finished).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 1 (finished).jpg
    'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 1 (finished).jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Good Luck (horseshoe engraving progress).jpg
    Good Luck (horseshoe engraving progress).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 3 (finished & hanged).jpg
    'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe 3 (finished & hanged).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe (finished & hanged).jpg
    'Good Luck' engraved horseshoe (finished & hanged).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Geez! I almost hate to mention it... but, traditionally, a lucky horseshoe is hung the other way around with the ends up. Otherwise all of the luck will run out. :(

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
My mother who was superstitious told me that a horseshoe placed purposely upside down (usually buried in the ground ) was a wish for good luck for someone other than oneself.

Bob

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well, it seems the nays have it, sorry Paulie but you can't fight superstition your luck is running out, I hope you have insurance. Maybe you should rub garlic on your forehead, I have a few magic chicken bones around here somewhere, let me know if you need them.

Bob

axeman11

Because this man is an engraver of metal, as are us all, I hereby recognize the words emblazoned upon the toe of the horseshoe "good luck" to supersede all previous beliefs regarding the position of said horseshoe in relation to luck. From this day forward, if any engraver among us hears a mere commoner (non-engraver) speak of a horseshoes upside-down position as being bad luck, the engraver bearing witness to such a statement will correct the person by saying "unless the horseshoe has the words "goodluck" emblazoned in engraving upon the toe" then stare down anyone who might dare speak otherwise.

What says our Benevolent Leader?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Because this man is an engraver of metal, as are us all, I hereby recognize the words emblazoned upon the toe of the horseshoe "good luck" to supersede all previous beliefs regarding the position of said horseshoe in relation to luck. From this day forward, if any engraver among us hears a mere commoner (non-engraver) speak of a horseshoes upside-down position as being bad luck, the engraver bearing witness to such a statement will correct the person by saying "unless the horseshoe has the words "goodluck" emblazoned in engraving upon the toe" then stare down anyone who might dare speak otherwise.

What says our Benevolent Leader?

I don't get it.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Ahh, Leonard... :)

He's saying it don't matter which way's up. If it's engraved and you can read it - it's right.

I will add that there are places on this planet where the rules of gravity are suspended and having the open end down would actually keep stuff in...

Most notably the region in which you reside :)

B.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Then again... who is willing to temp fate and see if they run out of luck? :)

It may cause all sorts of hurt, sorrow, black clouds, poltergeists, acne, constipation and such. You may end up having to engrave them all sorts of Good Luck talismans to counteract it...

So, it could be a good marketing ploy. First inflict Bad Luck and then sell them a bunch of stuff to bring the Good Luck back again. :)

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:For those who liked it like I made it: Thanks! To all others (with even a 'higher grade' of superstition than myself): I engraved the horseshoe with the intention to hang it up a wall with the tip up, because (1) it looks nicer that way and even more logical too. (2) I can drill a hole in the tip more easy than in the open back end!.(3) It would collect more dust when it's hanging with the open end up:rolleyes:! (4) In Europe, the horseshoe is a 'good luck' bringer/sign, nobody speaks about how it should be hung up, or that it possibly would bring bad luck hanged upside down. (5) I think it's nicer with the engraved text on top, instead of text down at the bottom, but that's my personal taste, of course;)

Last edited:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Thanks for that info, DocMartin! I just read the whole article via your attached link, especially the last paragraph, and.... you're right about how it should hang! :thumbsup: I learned something new and next time I 'll do this as it should! I was wondering, how to hang an engraved horseshoe up without visible fixation on top when the tip is pointing down? Greetings, Paulie

Latest posts

Sponsors