Grandmasters 2019

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It was a huge honor to teach a Grandmasters course at GRS the last 2 weeks. In 21 years of teaching this is the most complex and difficult project I've taught, and my students were up for the challenge.

Flush inlaid 24k gold borders and raised 24k gold overlays, plus relief engraving, sculpting, and a heavy dose of fine shaded ornamental arabesque scroll. No one including me finished the project. Mine lacks a few more hours of shading, and sadly, time wouldn't allow for perfect finishing of the steel plate, so we stuffed as much as we could into the time we had.

The project was designed to give students a taste of what's expected of them should they be called up to produce the highest caliber of work. They are now better prepared to meet that challenge.

Thanks to all who attended. I'm honored that you took 2 weeks from your lives and went to such a great deal of trouble and expense to be there. It is greatly appreciated. project-DK4A2115-sm.jpg

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam: how many students were there with you ? i'd think that would be mentally exhausting to do that for 2 weeks.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations Sam!
You very well deserved this honor, Sam! For sure you did an excellent and very professional job. I know what a huge challenge and as well great delight is to teach the Grandmasters at GRS, even for a well versed instructor or teacher. I have vivid and great memories of 2009.
All the best,
Martin

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
It was also an honor for me to be teaching my Grand Masters Class at the same time as Sams. While Sam's students were working on their beautifully designed project, my group of 12 were engraving a variety of Colt Firearms. Class members brought Single Action Army Colts of various barrel lengths, as well as Pythons and Colt Orignal Black Powder 1851 revolvers. The challenge was to create engravings reminiscent of the historical Colt style.

Students in both classes were totally dedicated to their work, and they worked additional hours during the evening sessions, sometime extending their days to 10 and 12 hours. It was gratifying for me to see that level of dedication to the art. These folks represent the future of the art of engraving, and like Sam, I appreciate that they choose to spend their valuable time with us in pursuit of that future.

Sam

Staff member
All of the students were in beast mode and had to be dragged out of the classrooms at 8:30PM! A truly dedicated bunch that were a pleasure to instruct.

Here are a few shots from Mike's and my class.

sam-L1002394-sm.jpg
L1002580-sm.jpg powley-L1002439-sm.jpg dubber-L1002527-sm.jpg

Sam

Staff member
Congratulations Sam!
You very well deserved this honor, Sam! For sure you did an excellent and very professional job. I know what a huge challenge and as well great delight is to teach the Grandmasters at GRS, even for a well versed instructor or teacher. I have vivid and great memories of 2009.
All the best,
Martin

Thank you Martin! I appreciate your kind words :) And thank you for laying the groundwork for future Grandmasters. You certainly established an excellent standard for us to follow. I hope you'll be sailing to America for a visit!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is that Katherine Plumer on the right in the second shot? Haven't heard or seen her in ages...

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congrats Sam! Someday I hope to go to one of the Grandmasters courses. By the way, loved the photo of Abby "kissing" your poster!

Reactions: Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors