Graver handle patented 1867

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mrthe spotted this on eBay and I was the successful bidder. We both thought it was some sort of sharpening fixture, but as it turns out it's a special fixture for holding gravers for engraving on the inside of deep articles like bowls. I can't imagine doing fine work with something like this, but if you absolutely HAD to engrave inside a bowl this might do the trick.

bowl_graver.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Well, I had to look up carbide to see when it was invented, and I guess it was in the 20s. But no, this appears to be a tool steel graver :)

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, you get all the fun stuff including humming birds!!

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I do hope you will not be offended by my nonprofessional opinion but I would think it was designed to hold bent gravers, it appears it would allow a better or more of a 'normal' purchase when used with them as it would be difficult and expensive in both time and steel to bend just the right angle for every job.

Bob

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Very interesting. I've noticed that actual products often vary from the patent drawings. Not sure if on purpose, or just that a manufacturer found a more convenient way to build it.
Nice to have the info along with the tool though, isn't it?
Cliff

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, very interesting thanks for the look see, I always have a love for old tools. Nice find. My Grandfather left a set of old (early 1900s) H/C gravers that he used for sinking dies, I look at them often to see his relief cuts and such.

scott99

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
The description seems to refute the use of bent gravers for its purpose, however; I don't think a tool made as shown in the drawing in the patient could be used to hand engrave anything, do you? You may be able to scratch the surface as the dragging type mechanical 'engravers' of then and now, but I doubt any human could use it directly to perform any useful act of art or form in metal engraving. I believe by looking at the 'graver' used in the drawing our intrepid inventor may have been musing outside of his experience, using his knowledge of mechanical engravers he may have observed or used, falsely assuming humans could emulate mechanical movement with a free hand. I'm fairly sure he quickly came to understand his mistake when attempting to sell the idea to engravers. I would think the unit you have is a result of refinement, something that should be done before obtaining a patent, however; having a patent number was a license to sell in those days as few would take the trip to D.C. to see what the patent contained. As the invention did not find its way into popular use I would think the inventor did not pursue it for whatever reason or it never worked well enough to become popular. Do you have a bent graver that you would be willing to use to give it a try Sam?

Bob