Question: GraverMach - permanent a little wheese

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
GraverMach - permanent a little wheeze "solved"

I like to know if that is regular - a scarcely audible wheeze - sonorous.
Somewhere it is loosing air...
I called the tradesman and ask about it. He supposed it is conditional by construction.
Does someone know from experience, what do do?
Mario

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't tell about yours, but I have the Graversmith and it also lose some air via the hand piece, I think that is normal.
It is not much air but as I'm not engraving and the thank of the compressor is not that big, the compressor starts because the escape of air true the hand piece

arnaud

rolandbaptiste

Elite Cafe Member
I had the same noise with my gravermax sc, I think it was the air to escape inside the box. I think it isn't bad but now I have sold it and I use Steve Lindsay's Palm control and I am very happy.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... I think it was the air to escape inside the box. I think it isn't bad...
Yes, inside the box - that is right. It is not very much, but enough to make this little noise. Ok then, it seems to be normal. I have no experience with the tools from Steve - only saw them on the pictures. What i can say is that the GraverMach exactly does what i want and i am happy with it.

Arnaud, which handpiece do you have? I have the 901 QC and the Monarch and they are build very well. They do not loose any air.

rolandbaptiste

Elite Cafe Member
I think it isn't normal? I think no but for me it wasn't not a really problem to use the tools.
If it was me, I return the box to GRS if you are the guarantee yet.
All it is right if you are happy with your tools, it is the principal but it isn't well with all time this little noise ;)
Before I had the same hand tools than you too but I don't have power enought for engraver all work on the gun.
If you want I am in Belgium, you can coming to see the Palm control in my worshop without make obligatory training course. I have the classic and the artisan too if you want to try it.
It will be a pleasure to meet you.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I also have the 901.
Perhaps the Graversmith is different, I have only to knobs on it, one for pressure and one for impacts/minute. If I calibrate the hand piece by turning the pressure I hear the air flow.
I increase the pressure till I hear the knocking in the hand piece and I increase just a bit more till the knocking stops. But no mater how much pressure, I always hear a little flow of air.
I have no problem with it, and I also know the hand piece can't keep the air in it, so it is the Graversmith that sends the air to the 901.

I think that is normal

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It is normal for the GraverMach or GraverSmith to bleed a small amount of air. They are made that way by design.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
So a gate valve would be a good cause (and good songs on the radio, too). Thank you for the affirmation of what the tradesman said. When we rebuilt our studio, i'll consider that factor.

Roland be careful ;) , we have friends in Beek (Netherland) and i hope to see them next year. It would be a great pleasure to me take a drive over Belgium before going home! Thank you.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've never had one of those units apart to know exactly where the hiss eminates from but if you don't like the noise you can affix a piece of thick felt or a cotton ball to where the air comes out. You don't want to block the air, just quiet it down, like putting a muffler on it.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't turn the air off if the unit is on!

The GraverMach (and I assume all of the GRS units) gets the air pulses for the strokes by spinning a rotor. The rotor is 'lubricated' by the air flow - that's why it always uses some air. If you leave the unit running with no air you can burn out the rotor and then you'll have to send it back to GRS.

Steve Lindsay's units do everything in the handpiece. They leak a little air to keep them at 'idle' but it's a lot less. Over on his forums there's a message that shows the air usage of various configurations and even the Lindsay Classic (foot pedal) uses less than a tenth of the air of a GRS. That's why the Lindsay is so good for a portable setup, or use where you just can't have a compressor (whether you're moving it around or not).

If you're hearing air leaking there might be an actual leak. If you're comfortable doing it you could take the case off and check all of the connections to see if you can find the leak.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario,
I am not sure if it is practical for you to call GRS as you are in Europe. If possible, for piece of mind, call GRS and ask to speak to J.B. He is a great guy and knows their equipment inside and out(literally).

Good Luck,
Peter

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Because of Steves neat information i do not believe there is anything wrong. I have read the manual again and it makes absolutely sense what he said. The 4000 RPM Motor needs the air like a water pump the water.

So if i could i would write a "solved" after the post title.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The way these things work in principle is sort of a "controlled air leak" that's why I mentioned that you don't want to stop the leak, just muffle it if you want. Like others have said about the leak, they're supposed to do that. Happy cutting.

Sam

Staff member
Don't turn the air off if the unit is on!

The GraverMach (and I assume all of the GRS units) gets the air pulses for the strokes by spinning a rotor. The rotor is 'lubricated' by the air flow - that's why it always uses some air. If you leave the unit running with no air you can burn out the rotor and then you'll have to send it back to GRS.

While it's true that you're not supposed to operate the unit without air, I've accidentally left mine on for an entire weekend and nothing was damaged. This has happened to me a dozen times over the years and I've never experienced any problems. I try to remember to turn off the machine when I'm done, but occasionally I forget.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I figured it wasn't too critical but I like to follow rules when they have a good reason behind them.

Sam

Staff member
I know what you mean, Steve. Years ago when i'd unlock my studio on Monday morning to discover i'd left my Gravermax or Gravermach on all weekend without air, I would think uh-oh...I guess I damaged the rotary valve. Nothing ever happened and as I said, I did this a bunch of times. I think it was John B who suggested having a single switch that kills both the air compressor and GraverMach. An internal switch would certainly make sense.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like you Sam, I once left it on without air for over a day. Absolute panic set in when I discovered I'd done so because of this 'air lube' thing, and of course we rely on these tools for a living so they can't afford to be out of action. Touch wood, nothing untoward happened and it runs as sweetly as it did when new. I wouldn't advocate doing it on a regular basis though, just in case.

Sponsors