GraverMax Refurbish

BarryB

Purchased the engraving equipment from an estate recently. The executor said her Grandfather had a hobby room in the house and a workroom in a separate building. He had a GraverMax in each of them. Of the two microscopes the family only parted with one, a Meiji EMZ. It has the old stand but it is heavy and works perfectly. After my son and I replaced all the tubing, one of the machines works like it has just come out of the box brand new. The other one, the one with the newer serial number, had a leaky foot pedal. No matter how we tried to adjust it, it leaked, so we took it apart. The valve seat was dirty and lightly scored, and worn in a wedge shape where the vent worked for years. Obviously, this is the machine he used the most. I wrapped the valve in paper and loaded the paper with polishing compound, and worked the brass seat against it for about 20 minutes. Polished up good as new, and I turned it around to make sure the other ends were mated for the next 30 years. No leaks, smooth operation. Feelin' good about keeping the equipment in working order. I think the passed engraver will smile from his heavenly perch... Pics are for the curious and those who would like to work on their older GraverMax foot pedals. These are before pictures. Should have taken an after, but the seat was bright and shiny.

Attachments

• Foot pedal valve seat polishing.jpg
    Foot pedal valve seat polishing.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Foot pedal vent valve components.jpg
    Foot pedal vent valve components.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 264

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry
I am going to report you to the resident curmudgeon Brian, one is now longer allowed to fix,repair or modify equipment in order to have it function properly. We are required to buy new stuff.
Excellent job keep it up

BarryB

Well Dave, looks like I'm in the dog house again. I'll just have to throw the old stuff in the trash and buy a couple new GraverMach AT machines and a couple Acrobat Versa's with Leica A60's attached. One for me, one for my son. Soon as I win the lottery I'll get with the program, hah! For a hobby guy, this estate purchase was like manna... Learning new stuff is my thing, and engraving is the newest among a plethora of others. I'm having a blast learning all about it--and turning perfectly good steel into something ugly that will last for a thousand years is quite a legacy. I've got practice plates with squigglies all over them lying in every corner of the house. I actually made a straight line on one of them yesterday. I attribute the successful line to a good instructor (Tom Sterling) and a refurbished footpedal...

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Well Dave, looks like I'm in the dog house again. I'll just have to throw the old stuff in the trash and buy a couple new GraverMach AT machines and a couple Acrobat Versa's with Leica A60's attached. One for me, one for my son. Soon as I win the lottery I'll get with the program, hah! For a hobby guy, this estate purchase was like manna... Learning new stuff is my thing, and engraving is the newest among a plethora of others. I'm having a blast learning all about it--and turning perfectly good steel into something ugly that will last for a thousand years is quite a legacy. I've got practice plates with squigglies all over them lying in every corner of the house. I actually made a straight line on one of them yesterday. I attribute the successful line to a good instructor (Tom Sterling) and a refurbished footpedal...

Let me know when you're going to throw it out! I'm close enough that the dumpster dive would be worth the trip! LOL

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry
That is what it takes a lot of practice, enjoy the trip. And you are lucky to have Tom close. Take care

Latest posts

Sponsors