Help, please: GraverMeister

emjeanchristine

I am newer to engraving and still pretty clueless when it comes to engraving systems- so I have some beginner questions. I am starting to collect my own tools outside of work and I recently acquired an old GraverMeister. I don't think it has been updated and it has a pretty old handpiece. It works, but I am not sure what should be done before I begin using it regularly. Should I do the system upgrade? After reading several posts here, it seems like I should but it makes the handpiece hot.

Also, I am used to working with an older GraverMax at work. Are the two pretty different to work with? Should I just sell the meister and start over?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would sell the Meister and put that money toward a different unit as Gravermeisters are hot, smelly, noisy. OTOH there's been plenty of good work done with them and people do use them. But my advice would be not to spend money upgrading it as the other systems are so much nicer, smoother, quieter, etc.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used a Meister for over 30 years. The upgrade will double the machines strokes per min. I upgraded mine but then had heating of the hand piece issues. I would suggest the QC 915 an oil and oil filter change if it has been sitting a while. check all hoses and if they need replace them as well. They are great machines and many of us started with them. I still use mine for stippling and as a backup or fi I want to simulate hammer and graver work. I have both the Gravermach and the Lindsay Classic. could go back to the Meister at a seconds notice as the hand piece lays right on my bench next to the others. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i bought the meister when it was 400 bucks. i wish all things were made to such a high standard. mine needs no upgrade. it will do anything i ask of it. i have a lindsay, but the meister will likely still work when i'm gone..

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I used a 'Meister for some 30 years and got great service from it. That being said, it can, with the older cigar shaped handles, be rough on the hands as age progresses. The more modern machines from GRS or Lindsay are better and more versatile and worth the investment if you can swing it.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest you contact GRS and describe your machine and ask their suggestion as to what kind of oil to use. I think they suggest ATF Dexron type II or III non synthetic. It is automatic transmission fluid. Give them a call and ask for technical assistance. They are the best people to get info from.

Latest posts

Sponsors