Help, please: Gross Reduction of a new Graver.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm getting tired of spending 45 mins. to shape and sharpen a new graver blank. These new C-Max gravers are particularly tough! I usually use an 8 inch grinder and a course stone to do a bit of the gross reduction and then go to the Power Hone. I've been thinking of the Tom White high speed hone but am a bit afraid of the heat build-up using such speeds. Will this friction heat adversely affect the temper of the graver? What do you guys do to prepare a new blank?

Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no matter the alloy, by habit i always cool the tool in water during roughout. that way you are safe. many of my tools i do quickie " roughouts" with a dreml or my dental drill using diamond. rarely do i use a bench grinder. doing the "rough" phase rarely takes me more than maybe 5 minutes, 10 at most. however-- i have yet to use the alloy you mentioned. for the rough, i have a double sided, 2"dia diamond disk that i run in the dreml at around 30 k rpm. it cuts & rough shapes very fast. if needed i'll touch up a bit with the dental drill, then to the power hone. the only tools that take me a lot of time are "micro" tools that i do on the lindsay system. these can be done on the grs hone, but must be done with the most delicate of touches, or you have no tool left !

Last edited:

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
If this is a carbide graver heat should not be a big issue. Quenching probably will not hurt . Carbide has a high tolerance to heat compared to HSS which if heated to high would need to be re-tempered.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Toms machine will rough out a carbalt graver in less than 5 min. Flip the included diamond disc over and finish:thumbs up: Dave

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought one of toms high speed graver sharpeners. I spent a day or so installing another rheostat in it so I could run it at any speed I want to. You need not worry about the heat on carbide too much as has been stated previously. To ruff them out I use a 100 grit diamond wheel and a medium speed. I have requested the GRS make a variable speed sharpener for a couple of years but they apparently don't see the need.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
I've done allot gravers on Tom's power hone and had no problem with HSS, carbide, cobalt or Carbalt...
Its fast, I started a M42 cobalt on my GRS power hone the other day and it took 5 times longer than TW hone...
Jerry

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark you might want to try Mizzy heatless wheels. Jewelers use these. They are 1' in diameter used in a foredom or such and breakdown quickly therefore less heat.
I generally use diamond and have no trouble.
High speed generates more heat, generally undesirable.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors