Question: GRS Palm control

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the GRS Gravermax system with the palm control hand piece. Any Input on this subject would be appreciated

Thanks, ZZ

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have some experience with all three styles developed at GRS. I know a lot of people love the palm control, but it causes me to revert to my primary fault which is gripping to hard. It gives my hand cramps. Being a musician for many years I have lots of experience using foot pedals. That might be the reason I love the foot control.

Recently in a class at GRS I found a solution I love. They make a finger/thumb control. This worked great for me as we'll.

I truly believe this palm/finger/thumb/foot control question comes down to preference. Your results WILL vary.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To use the palm control with the GMax, you will need the add on Airtact unit.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
I, too, did not like the feel of the Airtact Palm control system. Whittling away at the rubber flapper valve didn't make things any better, either. It was a constant fight, and I was so frustrated with the system that I did not even try the thumb control option.

As a full time goldsmith, I use a foot-controlled flexible shaft and handpiece combo, and I very much prefer the use of my well-trained foot.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FWIW, Palmcontrol is a trademark of Lindsay Engraving and Tools. The system that allows GRS tools to be operated without a foot pedal is called an Airtact.

My brother had an Airtact unit a few years ago and could never seem to get it to operate to his satisfaction. He asked me to try it and I had the same experience. Furthermore with the Airtact unit attached to his Gravermax there was more tubing than a hospital emergency room. We did find that the thumb control option worked better for us but took some getting used to. My brother eventually sold the Airtact and Gravermax because he hadn't used them for quite a while. After I got my Lindsay Palmcontrol my brother later got one as well.

Having said all of that I know that there are some very skilled engravers who successfully use the Airtact and do beautiful work. The Airtact just didn't work well for Carl or me.

RB

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, with no disrespect intended, from a users point of view (not a manufacturers) who cares what a company calls their palm control? It controlled by the palm.

I've tried the Lindsay system and it was worse on my hand than the GRS. Does Steve make a thumb or finger control?

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard: With the GRS air tact system the rubber on the end of the hand piece is called, the Palm Touch Element. The new modified 901 hand piece is something i use every day, and i like it a lot. The new elements are a lot more sensitive than they were a couple of years ago. I would take my 901 over a lindsay any day. They are not as noisey as a lindsay, and use a lot less air than they used to. Hopefully the lindsay camp won't get their nickers in a twist over this, but they need to get a life. You know what they are saying is that, slow is the new fast!

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ZZCUTTER asked: "I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the GRS Gravermax system with the palm control hand piece. Any Input on this subject would be appreciated." I simply answered his question with the experience of my brother and myself.

BEATHARD: "who cares what a company calls their palm control?" Some care and some don't. If you want to call a Dodge a Ford, who cares? I happen to care about nomenclature or I wouldn't have written a web glossary with 400 definitions.

Tim: Since I am the only one on this thread so far who has mentioned Lindsay tools I can only assume you are directing your comment at me when you wrote; "Hopefully the lindsay camp won't get their nickers in a twist over this, but they need to get a life." First of all, I am not in the "Lindsay camp" or anyone elses camp. I don't work for Lindsay and have never been paid by Lindsay for anything. Secondly, I have a life and a damn good one. You and I are personally aquainted and have never had anything but friendly conversations so I am surprised to read a snarky remark directed at me for merely giving an honest reply to zzcutter's question based on my experience. As I said above "I know that there are some very skilled engravers who successfully use the Airtact and do beautiful work" and you are one of those engravers.

Roger

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Roger
FWIW I didn't read Tim's comments as an attack on you in a personal way just the fact that those who are into the Lindsay way are blinkered to the point that no other system works and the fact that other systems can't be discussed on that forum or even some peoples name can't be mentioned and I for one find it a little on the "clicky " side and have had personal experience of this in a post were I was threatened with legal action by Steve over a tool that I had made which I must point out was resolved in a couple of emails between he and I, Saying that there is a lot of very good info to be gained on the site as there is with all forum sites, yet there seems to be this defensive attitude in differant camps with people getting their backs up over one comment or the other or the mention of this tool or that surely the forums should be for exchange of infomation between like minded people and being able to give one's view in an adult and civil way or am I just living in a dream world ??? on that note is the glossery going to be updated to include the "Slow is the new Fast" equipment that is now on the market.
Ray

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

The Airtact hooked up to a Gravermax works just fine. As Roger pointed out, there are a couple of extra hoses and a control box that need hooking up but the instructions are simple enough.

As for the tools people use........well, that's always the spark that ignites the fire on the engraving forums and I suspect that will always be the case. :)

Use whatever tooling you personally like and be happy..............there's no right or wrong of it when it comes to this sort of thing. All that counts is the end result and how you like getting there.

And if all else fails, remember that immortal phrase..............keep calm and carry on :)

Cheers
Andrew

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Roger: I hope you did not take offense from my remarks in my previous post. They were not directed at you personally, and if i offended you, you have my whole hearted apology. It just seems that there is to much mean spiritedness in this back and forth between people who use different equipment. We are all in this together and i think we as a community, and a small one it is, need to keep a dialogue going constantly and try to remain civil with each other. I prefer to use GRS equipment, some people prefer Lindsay equipment. There are other air assisted systems on the market now also. I know people who do world class work with a hand pushed burin and a hammer and chisel. I think personally that it really doesn't matter whose equipment you use, it's how talented an engraver you are that counts.

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting to read all this. I have a Lindsay PC, and have worked with the gravermax with the palm touch element. I like my lindsay for several reasons it is small, consumes not much air. The palm control is really an extension of my hand. I can do super fine cuts, it works super for stippling and background removal. What i dislike is a lot; noise when doing heavy cutting and i would like a slower piston strike.
The gravermax with the palmtouch element for me is worthless you don't have any finesse with it the extra tube + the airtact etc. My boss his work bench was full with all the GRS stuff it was more looking like a space shuttle..
When i would 'compare' i would say GRS; Microsoft, Lindsay; Apple; En-set; Android.. Now we just need a Linux :D

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Another feature of the Lindsay is the 1/2" hose length between accelerator (Palm control) and the hand piece. The action is instantaneous because of the short hose length. Hose length = action delay.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The moral to the story is there are people that are in both camps. Best suggestion, try them and buy the one YOU like.

Latest posts

Sponsors