Question: gun engraver "Shannon", from the 1970's???

gamincobra

I picked up a pair of engraved Colt Pythons. Under the grips they are noted "Shannon 6-70" (quotation marks mine). I have been trying to find information on who Shannon is/was. I have some possible information: He was from Oklahoma, @1975 he was training his wife to engrave, and I have seen an engraved S&W Model 29, done in 1975, supposedly by a female Shannon. Any help on identifying Shannon and his/her renown??
Thanks, gamincobra

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gamincobra:

In the mid to late 1970's I engraved several revolvers for a purveyor named Bob Whitlow who was also the constable of Madison county, Tennessee. Bob had other engravers who worked for him and one was the gentleman who engraved your gun. I never knew a first name since Bob always referred to him as "Mister" Shannon. At the time, I was in my 30's and, from what Bob told me, Mr. Shannon was considerably older than me. Probably a senior citizen.

All the guns I saw by Shannon were strictly scrollwork, with no scenes or figures. Most were nickle plated. His scroll was rather unsophisticated and bore a resemblence to that done by the late Cole Agee. As far as renown, he is mostly an unknown to gun collectors so the assocation of his name to the work would add little to the value of the gun beyond the addition of the engraving. On the other hand, when a gun is signed it does add some interest to the piece over an unsigned piece of the same quality.

If anyone knows more, I would be interested in any more information about Mr. Shannon for my historical archives.

Regards,
CRB

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I found a business card I picked up at a show. I never met him, his work was displayed by someone else. This card is from the late 80's or early 90's.

Shannon's Custom Gun Engraving
Walter T. Shannon
FFL 5-71-064-01-5H-34668
(501) 637-2413
Route 3, Box 82
Waldron, AR

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ha!

I knew you guys would come through!

I met this gentleman at the gun counter at the KC Cabela's. We chatted about the Colt Collector's Association being in town and he asked me if I knew anything of Mr. Shannon. I directed him here (and specifically to you, Roger) stating that if anyone knew, it would be you guys.

Thanks for proving me right! :thumbsup:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert,

Thanks for the additional information. I have added it to my records.

Steve,

I'm glad that Robert and I could help but it looks like the poster has not returned to the forum to get an answer to his question.

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger

He may not have posted, but based on a customer survey he left yesterday he has been back to gather the info.

Thanks guys!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Last Activity:10-02-2011 02:05 PM"

He would have only seen RM's first post.

No matter because thanks to his question, I got additional information for my records thanks to Robert.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm... Must have set the option to have replies emailed to him. And you got an addition to your archives so it all worked out. :thumbsup:

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Going thru these older post, I noticed this one. Walter Shannon passed some of his knowledge of engraving to Orvil Mahan. Mr Mahan lives near Spiro, Oklahoma. He had worked in a metal and plating shop for many years in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. He has been engraving firearms for many years himself. I met him last week and he has offered to pass on his knowledge to me. I am 56 years old and hope to have several years to learn engraving of firearms myself.

Latest posts

Sponsors