hammer and chisel info

en2siastic

Hello friends of the cafe,
Here is one way to make a chisel tip.
I use 1/8 hss drill bit blanks of 2-3/4 long. I put it on a tool holder to shape it with a 40 grit belt without over heat it. Then I glue it on my chisel handle with hot glue and after I make the final shape at the diamond grinder and the diamond flat stone.
I hope this could help.
Best regards.
Francis.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 168

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have gotten my handles from NgravR, Ray Phillips over the years.....the tip locks in with an allen screw..........the only custom thing I do to them is cut them a little bit shorter as i feel they are too long for me when I hammer.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Which ever one of you is wanting one of these graver holders I can make you one out of brass. It is the same square stuff as the steel but just half hard brass stock.

I had to buy 12 feet of it once for a project and used about a foot of it so this would be a good use for it I would think. Let me know if I can help in this way.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Francis: Thank you for a nice series of photos! I appreciate you taking the time to post them. / ~Sam

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The metal one I have that I got from NGraver I want to say it's 1/4" but won't swear to it. The wooden pair I made from curly maple and turned brass ferrules for both ends to keep them from splitting. They are probably 3/4" dia.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
So, using a quick change collet and maple body will work? Adding a
coller of coper tubing to re enforce the wood? Maybe a pipe cap at the hammering end.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a handle I made a few years ago. The main body is aluminum with a steel shank running up the center. I made it so that the hammer blows are transmitted through the steel to avoid having the soft aluminum absorbing some of the shock. The aluminum keeps it as light as a wood handle. The end is made with the same dimensions as my Magnagraver so it will accept the same gravers and uses the same size set screw (missing in the pic). It kind crude but here's some pics of how was made.

Attachments

• handle1.jpg
    handle1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 91
  • handle2.jpg
    handle2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 72
  • handle3.jpg
    handle3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 57
  • handle4.jpg
    handle4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 72
  • handle5.jpg
    handle5.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 74

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Here's the last two pics. The steel shank screws into the aluminum body and then the steel cap is threaded onto the end of the shank making it solid. As far as how well it works, I don't really know. I made it 3 or 4 years ago (maybe more), cut a few lines on a practice plate with it then put it in a drawer and actually forgot all about it until this thread came up.

Attachments

• handle6.jpg
    handle6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 57
  • handle7.jpg
    handle7.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 68

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JimZim,
You could do that but I didn't put a cap to hit on mine I just made a brass collar for it to keep it from mushrooming and I like the sound of the hammer hitting the wood rather than metal plus it won't marr the face of my hammer.

As for the quick change idea on a wooden chisel handle; I'd make a liner out of a brass tube to go inside it that the QC will fit into. This way you won't wear the front hole out pre-maturely.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sort of the stealth version with the collar rather than the cap. So you
can secretly engrave at night? I like it.

en2siastic

:) I post pictures of the way I make the tip of the chisel and you all speak about the handle.

About my handles, they a made of steel, 15 centimeters long, 1 centimeter square section. I used to tie the chisel tip with allen screw, but sometimes the screw was damage and I couldn't unscrew it. Now I just glue the tip and it works fine for me.

Hey almost 8 PM here time for a cherry beer, the more you taste it the more it taste good:) Oups sorry you still have a long day to work, Allez courage....
Francis.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 80

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry, I was trying to get a handle on what you were doing.;)
I like the idea of the steel handle also. Does the added weight help doing
deep cuts?

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi en2siastic

The handles of my gravers are made with old lathe tools … and the tips like yours, with HSS steel.

Very good idea your little beer, after engraving of course .
For me it will be a Belgian beer. Belgium counts many good engravers and the best beers of our planet.:D

Cheers

Jean

Attachments

• Chisels&beer.jpg
    Chisels&beer.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 96

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Should an engraver drink a different brand of beer if he uses wooden chisel handles as opposed to steel ones?

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
But Sam, what if he uses both? I have several steel handles and an oak handle with a steel tip that I made to take the QC holders for my Max. I'm used to swinging a 24oz. framing hammer so I use the wooden one most often. It absorbs the force better than the others when I swing a little harder than I should. David

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
If you use a steel hammer then, a vodka shooter. If it's brass hammer,
then three fingers of Crown Royal.
If your a power graver then Southern Comfort Manhattan's.
Push gravers all Drink Scotch. Newbie's drink Kahlua and milk.
I think that should work.

Sponsors