Help, please: Handpiece sputtering

jbrayout

Hello all
Engraving this morning and my 901 handpiece is sputtering when the air compressor kicks on. Air compressor is a sil-air. Is this a compressor or handpiece problem? Thanks
Jenny

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jenny,
Can you provide a little more information on your set-up? At what pressure does the compressor kick on to bring the tank up to pressure? Does the "sputtering occur during the entire time the compressor runs or just at the beginning? What model Sil-Air compressor do you have? What model graver controller are you using? Did the problem just start or has it been an issue before?

It could be a pressure regulation issue, could be an issue with the controller, etc....

I think with a little more information you can get some help with your problem. Rex is THE technical guru for a lot of the equipment, the rest of us are happy to pitch in with suggestions that will keep you busy...

I am attaching a link to the Sil-Air maintenance manual in case you don't have one handy.
http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/images/pdfs/General%20User%20and%20Maintenance%20Guide.pdf

Best regards,

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is this a compressor or handpiece problem? Thanks
Jenny

possibly both, if the problem is moisture. is your air supply really dry & clean? that would be the first thing i'd check for a 'sputtering' problem. beyond that, we need more info, as Gary said.

one other thing- do you have another handpiece to try? if it works fine, or also sputters, that would be useful to know.

Last edited:

jbrayout

Thank you
Model number is 50-15
The compressor kicks on as the Black reads 4, and the red is at 60.
There is no moisture in the air supply. But I read how to drain the unit and there was close to a gallon of water/oil.
Sputtering starts just before compressor kicks on, subsides at pressure in the tank increases.
GraverMax G8 is the engraving controller.
This problem just started.
I tried another hand piece, much smoother.
Do you think the wet tank mucked up my hand piece?
Is the hand piece something I can clean myself, or do I send it to GRS?
Thanks
Jenny

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Make sure your air hoses look clear going to the machine as well as the handpiece hose. Clean as a mentioned. Make sure to clean the tube well.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jenny,

Cleaning the handpiece is fairly easy. A link to a GRS publication is below, as is a link to all of their online manuals and guides.

https://www.grs.com/PDF/LIT-353_HandpieceCleaning.pdf

https://www.grs.com/manuals/

From your earlier post: {But I read how to drain the unit and there was close to a gallon of water/oil. } That is a lot of material to drain out of the air tank. You may want to check the sight glass in the compressor to be sure you have enough oil in the compressor. Oil level should be at the middle of the sight glass port if the compressor is on a level surface.

Best regards,

jbrayout

It seems like the only thing I did do was to keep the oil at half mark on the sight glass. Cleaned the hand piece. Everything is running much more smoothly. Thanks again.
Jenny

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it's fixed! :banana: :graver: but a GALLON of condensate? :shock: :no:

Latest posts

Sponsors