Happy man

catnip

I have been struggling for some time now, trying to engrave the script letter; using what I thought was the correct method of shaping and sharpening the square graver ( I took it up again about six months ago, after unfortunately terminating my apprenticeship 1969-70). 2 days ago I recieved a heavy parcel containg the standard GRS ball vice and the dual angle sharpening fixture. Along with Sam's sharpening DVD, I changed all my bad habits (which wasn't easy) and strictly followed his instructions. I couldn't believe the results. Looking at the finished copper practice plate, it seemed somebody else had jumped in my chair and did it for me. You couldn't imagine how I felt, after all those years of regret. So thanks Sam and all you seasoned engravers for the help you have given. As soon as I find the charger for my camera I will post some photos' (Well, I hope to anyway) Tony

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree with you, Sam's video is a must for beginners. It says a lot of frustration. I believe it's going to be one of those tools like Meek's book and be around forever.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
HMMMMMM ! a ball viise an a sharpenin systum ! now you are one of us ! aint that fun ? be xtra careful of the ball vise; they are quite fragile if they happen to fall on your toes !

catnip

It was delivered to my Neighbour, who asked if I would go round to collect it as it was too heavy. Thanks for the advice Monk, I have an old pair of steel toecaps in the shed, I'll dig them out. Tony

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have an old pair of steel toecaps in the shed

So I'm taking it you never saw the Mythbusters episode where they tested whether or not steel toe shoes could be bad for you then? Because they found out that yeah, they're great for small hits but they will flatten if you hit them hard enough and unlike your shoes they won't open back up.

Best just to twirl around and heave the thing in the direction you want it to go.

monk

Staff member
did anybody on the forum ever drop a pencil or pen and panic, by instantly moving your foot out of the way ? come on, be honest !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
did anybody on the forum ever drop a pencil or pen and panic, by instantly moving your foot out of the way ? come on, be honest !

No, but juggling machetes teaches you that if you have any doubts about which end is coming toward your hand you step back and watch. Between that and torches you develop habits that occasionally send harmless clubs down for the count.

Never did catch the wrong end of a machete, but I did have occasionaly problems with catching them a bit too high up the handle. Eh. Never needed stitches and I can't spot any scars from that so it was no big deal.

BTW, if you want to learn how to drop things with grace and style pick up a copy of Juggling For The Complete Klutz - it's on a display in the Games / Children's section of a bookstore near you.

Oh yeah - somewhat back on topic, I have juggled bowling balls but never ball vises.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I to am struggleing with cutting script. I am currently cutting my name and date on my long rifle barrels which present a couple of problems for me. The first is I can't rotate the barrel in the vice far enough to make smooth flowig cuts I have to stand pretty much in one position to cut all the letters. I move the barrel as much as I can and rotate my arms as far as I can but this is not enough for me to complete the letters. I end up removing the barrel from the vice and rotating it 180 deg. to complete some of the letters. There has to be a better way. I guess it is time to invest in some help. I feel that if I ever get to the point I can cut decent script I will have achieved engraver status.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Someone recently posted a nice picture of their barrel engraving setup, but I can't remmber if it was here or there.

Basically it's a long clamp (modified bar clamp) with a (wheeled?) support at one end. You put the barrel in with the end you're working on opposite the supported end, then clamp the base bar of the clamp in your vise. The support keeps the far end from dipping down. You need a vise out in the open and have to stand to be able to swing it around but it looked pretty neat.

The thread title is "This is my point", to give you a start on your search.

Not sure if this would help with your script problem though - sounds like you're in the situation where you'd have to rotate the barrel through the space you're in.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Steve.

I think you may be thinking of my barrel engraving set-up.
I sorta remember posting a pic of it a long time back.
As you're pretty swift with a computer maybe you would be kind enough to post a link to it for Bama?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this latest one was over on the Lindsay forums. But let me see if I can find your setup....

This thread has Tom Curran's setup with a pillowblock on a table.

Aha! In this thread in post #8 you describe your setup

monk

Staff member
i was juggling two magnablocks and a grimes golden the other night. i accidentally tried to take a bite out of the magnablock ! not a good thing !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk

The 'eat the apple' trick is always messy, isn't it?

The first time I tried juggling two bowling balls and one beanbag it was good I was outside - when the 10 oz beanbag came around after the 10 lb bowling balls I tossed it with the same force. Took a while for it to come down, but it did come down right where it was supposed to.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember John B talking about a floor drill press used to hold a vise and the way he did it he could rotate . . . Anyway check the archive.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tony, I guess that means I'll have to get Sam's DVD. I'm struggling with lettering; but I'm forging ahead, making mistakes and learning a couple of things.
Which reminds me; back to the engraving for more practice. Good luck with the lettering. Nothing replaces hours at the vice. Since it's a vice I should be good at it.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors