Question: Hardness of stainless steel pistols (out of the box?)

50 Degree

I am interested in engraving a Walther ppks pistol, and would like to know if it would need to
be annealed or any thing special before engraving? Also is ther a possible list anywhere of
which guns are better for engraving (as far as there hardness) than others? Thank's any help
would be much appreciated. 50 Degree

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a link to the Cafe' gun list of engravable guns: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?1099-CAFE-GUN-LIST-engravable-and-not-engravable

Have you engraved carbon steel guns? Some parts of stainless guns are no harder than those of carbon steel but parts can vary even on one type of gun. For instance the parts of a stainless Ruger Vaquero vary considerably. The backstrap cuts easily, the cylinder is very tough and the loading gate is a tip killer. I have seen several engraved SS PPK's so they are probably doable.

In any case, when you are working on a post manufacture gun, the steel will be hardened and wear down or break graver tips. Engravers who have the benefit of working on guns during the manufacturing process, pre-hardened, can cut with the greatest of ease and minimal sharpening.

CRB

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
50 Degree: I Have A Walther PPKS ,380 Cal. The Slide Was No Problem, And The Worst Part Was Removing All The Logo's From The Side Of The Slide. If You Want To See It Go To My Web-Site , www.halloranengraving.com , I Even Put A Gold Wire Border Around The Scroll.

Latest posts

Sponsors