Question: has any one

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have engraved a lot of strange things, but i don't think such has ever been thru my door. just what is it ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes. My wife's. It's miserably hard metal, vibrates like crazy, is loud as hell, and I will never do another one!
The older I get the less interested I am in working under those conditions. :cool:

Diacutter

Yes. My wife's. It's miserably hard metal, vibrates like crazy, is loud as hell, and I will never do another one!
The older I get the less interested I am in working under those conditions. :cool:

You make a very good point. Just curious.... do you think filling the cup with clay or sand would make any difference?

Dave

Sam

Staff member
It might deaden it a little. One of my students has engraved a few of them. My instincts told me not to do it, but my wife really wanted her initials on hers so I caved in. About 15 seconds into it I started cursing and didn't stop until I was finished. Lots of broken gravers and resharpening. Give it a go. It's not impossible, just not fun. Maybe you'll have a more pleasant experience. Like I said, I'm spoiled with softer metals and I'm not as fearless as I used to be :)

Sam

Staff member
Actually, if I were to do another one, I'd be tempted to use a ball bur in a rotary handpiece.

Diacutter

Brian and Sam,

Thanks for taking time to respond. I have been thinking about engraving my "yeti coozie" maybe after the holidays.... I just haven't came up with a design i like yet.

anyhoo... I hope everyone has a safe and healthy Holiday Season.

Dave

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I think they're just a vacuum type of double-walled tumbler, made out of some crummy stainless, from what you've described. I wonder what the wall thickness is, just as someone's ready to ruin one by punching through it? Maybe diamond drag would be better!

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I understand that the tumblers are 18 gage steal. My life is way too short to start hating what I find enjoyable. So I choose to pass on this one.
Thanks to all who responded, at 13 years old I knew nothing but thought I did, 17 years old my parents knew nothing, 21 years old the world was mine for the taking if they will just listen to me darn it. At forty, hey mom and dad do know a few things and now at 55 plus years I am worse off than when I was six because I ask when I am not sure, I just can’t understand were common sense went to in the world, and thank the good lord that I have a few friends that I can ask a question to.
Skill comes from diligence.
Merry Christmas to all and a happy New Year’s.
Greg leak

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Use your engraving talents to make a "Master" of whatever design you want - including lettering if any...

Make it at least 3 times, maybe 5 times the size you want the finished product to be. Use 1/16 or 1/32 Lexan NOT plexiglass.

A number 52 round bottom graver will work fine. All you are doing is cutting a channel for a stylus to follow...

Find someone near you who does trophy engraving on an older model New Hermes style machine - and is set up for doing cups.

Hand him/her the master, explain what size you want the finished design to be.

You might wanna ask what the charge would be - and if it's too high, offer to trade some of your hand engraving straight across.

I guarantee you will sleep better that night.

Brian

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe it needs to be treated as glass, not that it will break, but it may be easier to use the same tools, burrs etc.