Hello All

Hello all! My name is Thomas, and this thread is going to be a little about me and my Instagram link due to continually getting the warning that my file sizes were too large, regardless of how much I compressed them. I am a rotary tool user, and I am currently utilizing an NSK Espert 500. I started with one of those $8 Harbor Freight engravers but have used a Dremel, Proxxon, and MasterCarver Micro-Pro. I originally started engraving in high school because my brother's dad (different dads) did one for his wife. I was enamored, went out, did some yard work to get some cash, and got the engraver. I got scrap glass from my high school to engrave on and pick up those pictures from the fair with the paper-thin glass. After high school, I continued my engraving, but sparsely, due to being active duty Navy. After the Navy, I kept putting it off for other things like college. So total, I have around 120 hand engravings. I put hand because I did work at Thing's Remembered after the Navy for about a year. But that is just understanding how to place the object and let the machine do the work. I am happy to share how I do things, my entire process, and everything I have learned. I hope you all enjoy the things I have done. https://www.instagram.com/hoosky_engraving/

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
from what i could see, your work is very nice for having been done with an nsk. i'm not an instagrammer so perhaps there is work i couldn't see. i feel your work is quite welcome here since you do it by hand. tyvm for showing.

from what i could see, your work is very nice for having been done with an nsk. i'm not an instagrammer so perhaps there is work i couldn't see. i feel your work is quite welcome here since you do it by hand. tyvm for showing.
I appreciate the kind words. There are only two completed with an NSK, which are the Smokey Joe's one and the Disney one. At least until I am done with my current project. Most of the detailed pieces were done with a MasterCarver Micro-Pro. The NSK is leagues better, so, I am excited to see what this machine can do for me in the future. I only recently purchased it. If you aren't on Instagram, I am unsure if it blocked you out from seeing everything I have on it or not, so here is my Reddit profile page. I have most of it on there as well. Although, I rarely use Reddit. Maybe that should change. https://www.reddit.com/user/Sir_Mac_O_Cheez

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome...

Your work looks awesome man...absolutely love the corvette...
Amazing what kind of detail you can get...stunning.

Welcome...

Your work looks awesome man...absolutely love the corvette...
Amazing what kind of detail you can get...stunning.
Thank you. I loved the Corvette also until it went, poof. I was almost upset but just had to laugh. I have several old vehicles I plan on engraving. As for the details, anyone can do it with time and patience.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you. I loved the Corvette also until it went, poof. I was almost upset but just had to laugh. I have several old vehicles I plan on engraving. As for the details, anyone can do it with time and patience.
Sorry to hear that man. I saw the broken lion piece, but missed the corvette. I guess that's just part of working with glass, but it would freak me the hell out....and frustrate the crap out of me too.

Sorry to hear that man. I saw the broken lion piece, but missed the corvette. I guess that's just part of working with glass, but it would freak me the hell out....and frustrate the crap out of me too.
Right next to the broken Lion. It is a before and after picture. It is frustrating, but nothing I can do about it. Luckily it was being done just for fun.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Right next to the broken Lion. It is a before and after picture. It is frustrating, but nothing I can do about it. Luckily it was being done just for fun.
Now that's an healthy attitude to frustration. Must be taking plenty of hours to get something like that done. I think I will stick to a less "fragile" medium for now, hahaha.

Now that's an healthy attitude to frustration. Must be taking plenty of hours to get something like that done. I think I will stick to a less "fragile" medium for now, hahaha.
I have a very healthy attitude towards many of my non-successes. I am not saying failure because I didn't fail; I just didn't succeed. I learned, and I did a hell of a job until it went poof, so I didn't fail. As for the fragile medium, it really isn't that bad. I have rarely broken any. Most of which is from doing things I had a bad feeling about trying. Also, it's why I will never use anything but tempered glass (or crystal glass, since one can literally cut it out however they want). Anything that will create those sharp edges is a no-go for me. Plus, that type of glass is trash.

monk

Staff member
saw the redit thingy. absolutely stunning work. there are few using a rotary, if any, that compares with what you show there.

saw the redit thingy. absolutely stunning work. there are few using a rotary, if any, that compares with what you show there.
Thank you. I still feel that I am an amateur. I have so much to learn still, and my artistic abilities (understanding shading and lighting) could use a bit of work.

monk

Staff member
Thank you. I still feel that I am an amateur. I have so much to learn still, and my artistic abilities (understanding shading and lighting) could use a bit of work.
you suffer the illness most creative people have. you will likely never be happy with what you produce. that lack of satisfaction is the fuel that powers creativity, that makes one become great at what they do !

you suffer the illness most creative people have. you will likely never be happy with what you produce. that lack of satisfaction is the fuel that powers creativity, that makes one become great at what they do !
I used to. I know I produce good stuff. I just know what it is going to take to become great. And I am still an amateur because I have produced a relatively small amount of engravings. And I refuse to give up until I reach that point.

Doctorslava

There is a guy in Ukraine working with glass. He worked as a metallurgist for few decades and after retirement began engraving glass. His name Vasily Pilka. Unfortunately I cannot find anything in English, but there is a video with some of his works.

Latest posts

Sponsors