Hello everyone

dbeck

My name is Derek and I am just getting started (1 yearish). I have been poking around on this site for just a couple weeks and have already learned so much and as I was driving back to work from picking up some O1 1/8 drill rod to make some background dotting tools I learned about on here I thought I should introduce myself and give thanks. I am not an artist, sculpture, or all that creative really. I know my way around a mill, lathe, and welder though and I am finding this skill so incredible to learn. After putzing around for a while bout 2 months ago I decided to donate a significant amount of time to engraving. Love it! The neat thing is I can see my skills improving every hour at the bench. Im drawing every day and I see improvement but still a long way to go. I practice on a lot of internet pictures. I really enjoy reading about all of your projects here and other social media places. Really inspiring and so many of you are willing to reach out and help. I hope I can be helpful someday.

Anyway thank you all for allowing me to participate in these discussions. I am not afraid of constructive criticism and thank you in advance for all the things I will learn here. Attached are a few things I have done so far. Some ok some not so much but I am having fun along the way.

Have a great weekend!
Derek

Attachments

• scribe.jpg
    scribe.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 100
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 105
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 106
  • bench 1.jpg
    bench 1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 108
  • punnisher.jpg
    punnisher.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 112
  • beard.jpg
    beard.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 113
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 119
  • bribe.jpg
    bribe.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 112
  • scribe parts.jpg
    scribe parts.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 107

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Derek! By your photos, it looks like you're going to be successful if you keep up with your current progress. Please post your location in your profile. You never know, there may be another engraver in your town who can give you precious one-on-one help and advise.

p.s. Looks like you already have fine machining skills.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i see a career potential here. come up to speed on developing a business plan. may as well earn a buck whilst you're laboring away at the bench. thanks for sharing, and good luck to you.

dbeck

Welcome Derek! By your photos, it looks like you're going to be successful if you keep up with your current progress. Please post your location in your profile. You never know, there may be another engraver in your town who can give you precious one-on-one help and advise.

p.s. Looks like you already have fine machining skills.
Thank you. I made the update. I can’t say enough how much fun I’m having right now. Soaking all of this new info up.

dbeck

i see a career potential here. come up to speed on developing a business plan. may as well earn a buck whilst you're laboring away at the bench. thanks for sharing, and good luck to you.
Thank you. Someday I would be honored if someone wanted to pay for something I engraved. But for now I have Christmas covered. Thanks for your kind words.

Latest posts

Sponsors