Hello from bigransom.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Hello All.
I'm an artist and designer in Austin, Texas. I've been wanting to expand my talents to hand engraving in metals for a while. And now the time is right to adjust the studio and add an engraving station for metals and guns.

I do hand engraving in concrete and wood now, and look forward to coming up to speed in adding metal work to my projects. As well, I'm a gun collector and have some gun projects in the works.

I'm in the process of evaluating tool systems, and for someone who is pretty familiar with tools - the engraving systems have a lot to offer and much to study prior to making a choice. Any input on systems would be appreciated, greatly.

I'm leaning Lindsey Palm Control (didn't see that coming, did you? :) ).

But I'm looking at the advantages of all, and have an open mind.

I just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance, as I know that you are all busy and your time is important to you and your families. Any input and answers are greatly appreciated.

In my studio I do publication and book design, custom edition book binding, book boxes - and specialize in centuries old, traditional hand-binding in Japanese and European binding techniques and methods.

I also do graphic design, and have a production shop - so if I can be of help to you in an area where you need additional capabilities for a project - don't hesitate to let me know. I'm here to help.

Here's looking forward to working with you, meeting many of you, and enjoying learning from you all.
scottd.
Big Ransom Studio

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you're just the type person to "fit in" here. welcome, and send a few fotos of your handwork. i'd personally like to see a foto or2 of your concrete & wood carvings. if you check out the tips section, you'll find some valuable tricks of the trade as some say. this forum affords one the oppurtunity to learn much, with no outlay of cash. how cool is that ?

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the welcome. I will format a few pics and put them on here later today. I'm here to learn and appreciate the advice and direction of the successful engravers here.

I've had Sam's "Drawing Scrolls" dvd for about 6 months and it's an excellent tutorial. Just another reason to look here for support and guidance, and offer an tidbits that I may have to pass on.

Pics coming soon. thnx
scottd.

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phew! Talk about a buffet of skills! Nest stuff and pictures of all would be appreciated! Welcome aboard!:cool:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I look forward to adding metalic substrates to some projects I've been planning. I, admittedly, have some catching up to do on metal engraving technique. Being used to working under magnification and already enjoying the engraving work that I do, I think with proper instruction I'll ramp up quickly. I'm excited to learn from you all. :)
scottd.

Last edited:

mrthe

Great works ! welcome to the forum, you will find heare all the info that you need and great artists and grear people that sharing his knowledges ;)

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
cool stuff.
As to pnumatic tools, I have a Lindsay Palm, a Lindsay Artisan , a GRS gravermax, a Gravermach, and they all work great.
Tom White and GRS both make good hones, and I love my Lindsay templates, my GRS DG3, and multi angle fixture.
Judging from your examples, you will be quick to get with any system you choose.
If you work with a visor, about any vise will do, including a bench vise, if you use a scope, you will want a positioning vise.

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to you all for your input and welcome. I appreciate it.

The more I see of your individual work and talents, I can tell I'm in the right place to learn. Your work, individually, and as a collective, is stunning, to say the least. Thanks again!
scottd.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your work is beautiful. Thanks for showing it to us. We have many talents at the cafe and you have just expanded our universe!

As for tools, a boat load of information has been written and reviewed on this forum. If you look through the archives there are 5+ years of posts regarding tools, angles, gravers, etc. Like Barry, I have many systems including 3 GRS systems the Lindsay Palm as well as his first air chasing graver and the new Enset Plus. All of them will be good reliable tools for you. The best advise would be to get somewhere and try them all first hand if you can. That way you will know which one calls to you. Beautiful work is done with all the tools and people move back and forth between some of them depending on what they want to accomplish. Good luck with you quest.

monk

Staff member
your work is amazing and quite interesting. we don't have anybody i'm aware of that does all that you do. all is good, but the coffee table gets my vote. that is just a beautiful thing to behold. it inspires me to make one, perhaps with a chambered nautilus.

monk

Staff member
nice ! as a child, i collected fossils. there's an entire "niche" of design possibilities for one such as you. i'm curious-- do you sculpt your design negatively in wood & then make a resin casting ? the thought of a pteryldactyl or giant dragonfly table-- makes me want to do this. dang, i don't needd another hobby ! your table top looks quite a few million years old. talk about antique, that would be the oldest in the museum of custom furniture.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know what happened to the pics?

Here are a few again. Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning from you all as I add metal engraving to my work.
scottd.