Help with Zeiss stemi sv8

Emiliano

Hi there.
I’m having problems with adding a Barlow to this particular microscope.(it has 10x eye pieces installed)
I purchased a x.5 Barlow 48mm and it does not fit. Is a tiny bit too big to screw in.
It has a f=100 lens already but I can’t find the size anywhere online.
I did remove the f=100 and held the Barlow against the mount and I couldn’t see anything.
Reinstalled the f=100 and taped the .5x Barlow underneath with tape and could see pretty good with 5 inches working distance. It was still too close to turn anything to engrave, I would loose the view right of way.
I just don’t know how to fix this.
Anyone has any idea, without being buying a new one?
Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• 5E1C431C-5281-445A-9540-F6AC634F9655.jpeg
    5E1C431C-5281-445A-9540-F6AC634F9655.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 04513C26-753A-403D-B542-EE70E5C1E771.jpeg
    04513C26-753A-403D-B542-EE70E5C1E771.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 874EDF5F-EEA4-478F-B992-D27F03BBC9FE.jpeg
    874EDF5F-EEA4-478F-B992-D27F03BBC9FE.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 622CD955-195A-4E7A-AD70-D0BE87EC12A0.jpeg
    622CD955-195A-4E7A-AD70-D0BE87EC12A0.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not telling you to do this-- but i had a leica. i could only find a .5 at the time that was about 1.5mm shy for a perfect fit. as a test i taped the lens in place with duct tape. it worked so i set about to epoxy the lens in place. was ugly as heck, but it worked. i eventually fitted one of leonardos variable led ring lights to the assembly. still works. ymmv

Emiliano

i'm not telling you to do this-- but i had a leica. i could only find a .5 at the time that was about 1.5mm shy for a perfect fit. as a test i taped the lens in place with duct tape. it worked so i set about to epoxy the lens in place. was ugly as heck, but it worked. i eventually fitted one of leonardos variable led ring lights to the assembly. still works. ymmv
9238A8FB-CF6B-474E-A43D-E86B15D0CBE5.jpeg
this is how I had it taped together to see anything through the lens.
Is just hard to rotate even a little to loose view.
If I engrave a coin size anything it works good. Anything in the range of 2x2 with the zoom on 0 is just too narrow of field of view. But what do I know.

Doctorslava

To find out what is the thread you need to know two numbers (in general). The numbers are the Outer diameter and the pitch. The outer diameter in mm. And take this f
=100 lens out. It is just another Barlow lens (probably 0.75x). To measure a pitch you can use a thread gauge, optical comparator or just a piece of paper and a caliper. all you need is imprint threads into paper, count as much threads as you can, measure the total distance and divide it on the number of threads. And of coarse both lenses should have the same threads to fit your microscope. Or try to find the specs of your microscope thread online.

Emiliano

To find out what is the thread you need to know two numbers (in general). The numbers are the Outer diameter and the pitch. The outer diameter in mm. And take this f
=100 lens out. It is just another Barlow lens (probably 0.75x). To measure a pitch you can use a thread gauge, optical comparator or just a piece of paper and a caliper. all you need is imprint threads into paper, count as much threads as you can, measure the total distance and divide it on the number of threads. And of coarse both lenses should have the same threads to fit your microscope. Or try to find the specs of your microscope thread online.
Thank you DrSlava.
I tried measuring the diameter and I think is a 46mm mount. I also found out this is a slit lamp exam microscope. So I don’t know what’s doing there. Maybe it was used for that.
I just can’t wonder if by hunting for the right Barlow it will work. Don’t have the time.
I’ll just keep this one in the garage and get a amscope or something similar that’s complete and ready to go.
Thank you all anyway and have a great day.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if this is what i think it is, i doubt you'll ever find much use for it at the engraving bench. the focus should be done in the vertical mode with a knob rather than rotating the lens.

Doctorslava

You need to look for their Objective S 175(Catalog number 30 57 20, working distance 168mm) or Objective S 200 (Catalog number 30 51 32, working distance 193mm). But since it is an old microscope you may have trouble finding these parts. Otherwise it is a good microscope. There are many lenses on ebay for Zeiss surgical microscopes. Unfortunately it will not fit yours.

jldj

They make lense adapters for cameras and scopes. I've got one on an Aus Jena. It's been so long since I bought it, I don't remember where I got it from. I think it may have been ebay, and I think I had to buy a couple of different ones to get the one to fit. There just thin pieces of black anodized aluminum threaded on both sides but in opposite directions. They have the mm sizes in white lettering on the sides.

jldj

Think I 'm wrong about the threads, but I know they step down from one measure to the other. I'll take a look at the one I'm using and try to post a pic later today.

jldj

Actually, I'm using 2 step-down adapters in combination to put a Nikon 0.5 barlow on my Aus Jena. I've taken pics, but will probably have to get somebody at work to help me post them as I don't have very good computer skills. Post them on Tuesday. Hope you solve your problem even before then. the Adapters have the name Bower on the edge in white lettering.

jldj

And it looks like I stepped down from a 52mm-48mm at the Barlow, and then up from a 48mm-55mm from the Barlow to the scope.

Aventuraal

There are/were made adaptors that mounted on the lens barrel via a set of 3 radial screws, allowing you to clamp the adaptor to the lens barrel without using the front threads (if there were any). If you can't find an adaptor setup that works, you might look into those. I used them to put special filters on copier lenses years ago.

jldj

Finally got the photos.

Attachments

• j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
  • j2.jpg
    j2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
  • j5.jpg
    j5.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 8