Question: Henry "Brasslite" Receiver

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Thread starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a customer want to engrave a Henry Golden Boy .22 rifle. I went to the Henry's Website and found the receiver finish is Brasslite. Is that a brass plating? Can I engrave on it? I thought they are supposed to be solid brass.
Thank you in advance!
Denny

"The Henry .22 receivers are plated white metal"

uh, what's a plated white metal? or more specific....what's "white metal"?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sometimes what you think you see, is not what you get. as an upstart engraver, i learned this the hard way, tho not with the gun you asked about.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I talked with Henry quite a while back, asking if they would consider a run of solid brass "Golden Boys" for engravers to work on, as I was sure there was a market for them and their reply was it was "not worth the effort." Oh well, I tried.

"The Henry .22 receivers are plated white metal"

uh, what's a plated white metal? or more specific....what's "white metal"?
The base receiver is a zinc based metal that in its unfinished state is white like steel. They are plated with several metals to handle the final gold plating. If you put a graver to the metal you pierce the plating and run a serious chance of the plating flaking off the base metal.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I spoke to them about this also and once it is engraved in their opinion, it is an altered firearm and no re-plating or warranty is possible. They simply wash their hands of it.

As someone else pointed out, the rimfire are plated, the big bores, big boys etc are brass.