Hi Everyone

Tpazz

Hi Everyone, I am new to engraving and joined this forum so I can learn about this art form. I have choosen to learn with hand held hammer and chisel. I have been practicing doing straight cuts and alot of sharpening,
which seems to be the key to any success. I am studying the book "The art of engraving", and have a good startup set of tools and supplies. I woud like
your opinion's good or bad, on my approach to engraving.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. You are among a bunch of learners who are enjoying the journey. If you read through all the threads on this forum you will realize how great this cafe is for learning. Best of luck.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe, Tpazz. Congratulations on your desire to learn hand engraving. I have mixed emotions about the James B. Meek book. While I learned some of his techniques early on, I later discovered that his methods might not be the most practical. But I surely owe him a debt of gratitude for helping me get started.

Consider taking a class. If you read the sticky of Resources, you'll find teachers that teach hammer & chisel engraving.

Enjoy the Cafe, and we welcome your participation. / ~Sam

M A Smith

Hello,
I may be able to offer an understandable perspective in regards to the James B Meeks book "The Art of Engraving" . Receiving my training elsewhere, and purchasing this book a few years ago; it has been my observation that there have been those curious about engraving, then upon discovering the book it has opened doors of possibilities for them. Accepting this book as if almost biblical. And I've observed others, that have found very little use for this book. But one thing is for certain,at least in my independent opinion, there is something for everyone in this book and it is worth purcharsing.
M A Smith

Latest posts

Sponsors