hobo nickels

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
What do you all think of engraving hobo nickels (nickels used loosly) has anyone gotten decent return on time spent working on them? I've done one each night for the past three days just to practice the Jefferson first followed by the quarter then stepping it up to the Queen Elizabeth II an Australian piece. I've done. Afew just for fun but was wondering if yall have had any luck with selling stuff like this. What's the market like are there more marketable coins to do this on like old buffalo nickels and Morgan's maybe Ike's and half dollars? Any info is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_232119_962.jpg
    IMG_20200129_232119_962.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200131_020219_688.jpg
    IMG_20200131_020219_688.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200201_030157_054.jpg
    IMG_20200201_030157_054.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 71

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
I got my introduction to engraving with hobo nickels in 2001 when there weren't very many people making them. For the first few years, any decent carving would sell in the low $100's and a high grade original design could go well over $1,000. Since that time, hundreds of people have taken it up, most making low quality skull carvings that sell for $10-$40 (well sculpted skulls can bring better money, but few put forth the effort), but a few engravers have cracked the $10,000 mark with amazingly detailed works of art. Also, There is the chinese die struck fake market to compete with. These are "coins" made that copy the hi grade carved coins but only sell for a few dollars. My best advice would be to join the Original Hobo Nickel Society - hobonickels.org - join the hobo nickel group on facebook, ask more questions, develop a style, develop a following, and watch the money roll in.

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
I got my introduction to engraving with hobo nickels in 2001 when there weren't very many people making them. For the first few years, any decent carving would sell in the low $100's and a high grade original design could go well over $1,000. Since that time, hundreds of people have taken it up, most making low quality skull carvings that sell for $10-$40 (well sculpted skulls can bring better money, but few put forth the effort), but a few engravers have cracked the $10,000 mark with amazingly detailed works of art. Also, There is the chinese die struck fake market to compete with. These are "coins" made that copy the hi grade carved coins but only sell for a few dollars. My best advice would be to join the Original Hobo Nickel Society - hobonickels.org - join the hobo nickel group on facebook, ask more questions, develop a style, develop a following, and watch the money roll in.
Thankyou for the info

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done several. lotsa fun doing them. as for money, i never really earned much that way. it all had to do with the quality of what i produced, therefor not really profitable considering time spent. to really earn big, you gotta really get good. too much competition out there.

Sponsors