Homemade articulating stand for microscope

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
interesting, for sure. does it hold where you want it, or do you have to tweak it now & then ?

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
interesting, for sure. does it hold where you want it, or do you have to tweak it now & then ?
I grabbed an old drill press for a stand so that really helps with my distance to the work. As far as the arm it's great, has a tensioner spot right in the crook of the arm so just tight enough to not drop but loose enough for full range motion.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Ryan, I would not be very confident in a parts made of PLA, even more when you are stressing them with screws. These parts may crack when you are away of your microscope with awful result for it.
I would use PETG, Nylon or ABS. These materials has much better mechanic properties than PLA.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
Ryan, I would not be very confident in a parts made of PLA, even more when you are stressing them with screws. These parts may crack when you are away of your microscope with awful result for it.
I would use PETG, Nylon or ABS. These materials has much better mechanic properties than PLA.
This stand fortunately did not require any screws into it. The vesa plate adaptor on the stand is what I'll call a 'clip in'. It took me a few hours to find one like this but the pla fixture was shaped to slide in and lock. When I'm away I swing it over the desk with it resting maybe an inch above it. Thank you for the tip! I will look into a stronger material to be more cautious. So far this is just a prototype until I can find a machinist to make one out of some metal.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
image.jpg
Just wanted to update this and say it officially has lasted 2 months! I have been letting it hang freely just in case I can have excuse to buy new scope. ;). But all is going well!

Latest posts

Sponsors