HOW TO CREATE A GAME SCENE USING PHOTOSHOP Part 3

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Select 'Scene' in Layers, click Opacity and move slider to about 47%, now there are better ways to do the next bit but this is easy to explain.

Select the Erasor Tool,( Sixth one down on the left hand side) At the top tool bar select round brush at about 17 %, Opacity 100 %, then carefully erase the parts of the scene that are not needed.
Finaly slide the Layer Opacity back to 100 %

If you want to see it in greyscale.
Image > Mode > Greyscale > Merge.

If you just want a working drawing, ie. the birds without feathers and shading, just trace around the birds from the print, scan and import, then follow the sizing instructions as above.

This might seem like a lot of work to some but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and saves a lot of time.
I think that's about it, i've checked most of this but if there's something i've missed I expect someone will tell me.

Phil

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil
A great tutorial. I have been using Photoshop for years to compose and arrange my layouts.
May I make a suggestion? The great thing about PS is there is always a number of different ways to acheive the same goal. When I outline my figures I use the magic lasso instead of the pen. Just a matter of habit and choice on my end. But the easiest way to touch up the marching ants is to use the "masking tool". That is the little box with the circle in it just below the color palette icons. When you click this, your marching ants turn into a color mask or stencil and you can touch it up and correct it with your paintbrush. I zoom in real tight when I do this. It becomes very fast and easy. When you are done just click on the other mask box and your ants return.
PS is a great tool and is so much easier than photcopies and trying to figure out proportions. I also compose within the actual dimensions of my engraved scrolls by making a smike print, scanning it and bringing it into PS as another layer in the background and then I can really see exactly where the figures and everything will lay out.
It actually is a whole lot of fun.
I do so admire your work and keep the great photos coming
Marty

Andrew Biggs

Another really cool trick with PhotoShop is that you can link layers. This means you can to resize the ducks all togeather and proportionally, move them as one unit etc.

1. Select a layer that one of the ducks is on.
2. Click the box next to the eye icon on the other layers with the other two ducks (this will show as a small chain icon)

This will mean that whatever you do to the master layer (the first duck you selected) will also happen to the linked layers. You can unlink them by reversing the process.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors