How to DRAW scrolls with CorelDraw!

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

First, I would like to said that I do not want to start a software war but I saw some interest in the CAD’s program in the last threads and specially in the Marcus Hunt thread where we talk a bit about Illustrator and CorelDraw.
Today I was quite disappointed (with the economic crisis) and decided leave the daily jobs aside and spend some time playing with Corel drawing scrolls to share with you all.

I do not know how many scrolls rules I have broken so I beg that you scroll purist be so kind to excuse my mistakes :eek:. The goal is to draw the scrolls directly in the computer using the spiral function available in CorelDraw.

So, here we go,

I have uploaded a sequence of screenshots to overcome the language barrier so do not look at the Spanish words, the icons are self explained and valid worldwide.
The only thing I think would be more explanation is that there are two kind of spirals, one is symmetrical and the other is logarithmic. For the scroll drawing purpose I found the 3 turns logarithmic spiral as the best option, anyway you can try other configurations as well as varying the logarithmic factor and see the results.

I hope this little tutorial will encourage you to do some drawing with this great software tool.:)

Cheers, Leonardo.

Attachments

• Scroll_0.jpg
    Scroll_0.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 389
  • Scroll_1.jpg
    Scroll_1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 356
  • Scroll_2.jpg
    Scroll_2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Scroll_3.jpg
    Scroll_3.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Scroll_4.jpg
    Scroll_4.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Scroll_5.jpg
    Scroll_5.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Scroll_6.jpg
    Scroll_6.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Scroll_7.jpg
    Scroll_7.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Scroll_8.jpg
    Scroll_8.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 285
  • Scroll_9.jpg
    Scroll_9.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo,
Thanks for the tutorial. I'M going to have some fun with spirals.
I didnt know that the scroll spiral was in corel.
Also the plus command, to duplicate I was using ctrl+d.
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
excellent, leonardo ! i'm sure there are some corel users who may not know of the shapes corel offers, especially the scroll. if you want to begin with perfect spines, and have a shaky hand, corel solves that problem.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you four your comments. Much appreciated!
I hope that someone sat from a blank screen will be able to end up with some scrolls drawn with Corel following this tutorial.
I also know that it is a mere insinuation and there are a lot of details involved in CAD drawing leaved aside but this might be a good point to start because of the interest in the scrolls.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Leonardo.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Leonardo, you've gone to a lot of trouble to make this tutorial. Thank you very much for your efforts! I've added it to the Tips Archive.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Leonardo, it is quite similar than Illustrator. But I'm convinced about the pencil, I just use Illustrator to transfer a very thin line. I agree it is a good start with scrolls

arnaud

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam.
Unfortunately Corel do not permit to increase the logarithmic factor beyond a 100% and I realized that, to obtain a golden mean proportion it should be set to 162%. Perhaps it will be necessary to write a Visual Basic scrip to do the scrolls in this way. I will investigate this issue in depth. Do you know if Illustrator permits to set the logarithmic factor beyond a 100%?

Arnaud, yes, I understand what you say but as Jordi said once, I am "on the machine side" so it is a must to have the jobs in digital formats to be able of sending it to the machines. Anyway I think that if you draw directly in a CAD you are saving many steps and avoiding the resolution problems.

Kind regards, Leonardo.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonardo, here is the spiral dialog box of Adobe Illustrator CS3

the segments means the amount of turns as a circle has 4

arnaud

Attachments

• dialog box.jpg
    dialog box.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 79
  • decay.jpg
    decay.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 74

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo, Thank you.

I have Corel Draw X3 and had no Idea it could do that. I have been trying to draw scrolls with the freehand tool and have had nothing but frustration.

I got the corel draw, because I needed it to use with something called Half wiz that I use when I do Glass etching, but I have never really learned how to use it or what it can actually do. The tutorials didn't seem to help with what I wanted to do with it.

Your tutorial is giving me a new interest in playing with it again. Thanks again.

John S.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
John B.,Winston and Jerry, you are welcome. Thank you again for your kind comments, I am glad of being of some help.

Arnaud, thank you for your contribution. It's seems that Illustrator is more flexible than Corel with the settings available.

John S., I am working with Corel since 19 years and always discover a new tool or way to do something. These kinds of softwares seems to have and endless learning curve but you need to learn some basic "moves" to start feeling yourself comfortable and encouraged to try other ways. Just keep at it!

All the best, Leonardo.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mario!

Well, I will try to write a macro... but need some extra time to do that. I will tell you when have something.

Best regards, Leonardo.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This thread inspired me to try out the spiral tool in Inkscape (since I'm checking that out) - worked pretty good.

I did this in just a few minutes working on my ultraportable:

Attachments

• g3211.png
    g3211.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 82